Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Live £1k -Mega ovashove, iz AK up2danizzle?

Playing the £1k GUKPT at the Vic today and this hand came up..

Blinds 200/400/25

UTG is new to the table, 30-35 years old and white, has only played an orbit. And has not played a hand in that orbit. He looks at his cards, and after about 3 seconds, moves all in UTG for 11k. You are UTG+1 with 14k and AdKd. Other stacks at the table very from 4k to 40k
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Live £1k -Mega ovashove, iz AK up2danizzle?

obv this play is pretty mental, live i find it often means they have JJ, QQ sometimes TT, and dont know how to play a flop if overs hit. you also have whole table to worry about behind and you are probably behind his range. make sure you mutter something derogatory under you're breath before you fold tho.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:44 AM

snap fold. not close.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 AM

Against 77-QQ,AQo+,AQs+ you're 46.5% to win - and I think that range is pushing it to say the least. I'd fold.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:06 AM

I'd fold but I would be really pissed about it
Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold but I would be really pissed about it

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you be pissed? Is it a problem to lay down a strong hand?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:10 AM

Lol. I'd probably call. We're free-rolling the flush draw.

OK, I wouldn't call really but his range is tight and specific. Sadly, AK is not in great shape against it because it doesn't include AQ and there's not enough money in the middle.

For me, though, it's close and if table conditions were really messy, I'd be tempted to make a marginally -EV call here because our stack size sucks if we're getting flatted a lot by big stacks behind etc.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:12 AM

It's such an erratic play-perhaps he was not thinking rationally at the time? Maybe he took a beat on another table? Can we include worse aces in his range?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

OK, I wouldn't call really but his range is tight and specific. Sadly, AK is not in great shape against it because it doesn't include AQ and there's not enough money in the middle.

For me, though, it's close and if table conditions were really messy, I'd be tempted to make a marginally -EV call here because our stack size sucks if we're getting flatted a lot by big stacks behind etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, it is actually close. Depends on whether you want to gamble. I really think that is the main consideration, because this is a big gamble, and very close in cEV.

You are almost always freerolling or like a 54-46 dog. Could villain be a nut with a weaker high card hand? Could he have a big pair?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, it is actually close. Depends on whether you want to gamble. I really think that is the main consideration, because this is a big gamble, and very close in cEV.

You are almost always freerolling or like a 54-46 dog. Could villain be a nut with a weaker high card hand? Could he have a big pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen this live a few times. And I have never seen AA or KK shown down when this play is made. In some games in Ireland you could see like 44 - 99 here. English players traditionally have less gamble to them, so I'm guessing this is 1010 - QQ // AKs // AKo. I really wouldn't mind a call here tbh. I think it's a flip or a split pot like always. And I never mind flipping for a big stack early doors.

I gamble and go all - in for the extra 3k or whatever. But folding is obviously the standard thing to do.