Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Three men run across Sahara

Crazy Dudes

They ran the equivalent of two marathons a day for 111 straight days. That has to be plain insanity.

Also, Matt Damon's movie company is making a documentary about it.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Three men run across Sahara

That's pretty awesome, although I'm not sure how it compares to some of the other ultras around that make runners carry their own food, water etc. between checkpoints. I'd love to see a better article with more details.

I found this odd:
[ QUOTE ]
At several points in their trek, the athletes stopped near sparsely populated wells to talk with villagers and nomads about the difficulties they face finding water. That marked another goal of the run -- raising awareness for the clean water nonprofit group H2O Africa.

"We have seen firsthand the need for clean water, which we take for granted in North America. It's such a foundation for any community," Zahab said during day 108's lunch break. The three plan to fund-raise for the group after they return home and finish recuperating.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long have these people lived in the middle of the [censored] desert? Is there less water in the middle of the [censored] desert than there used to be? If there's not enough water, why not focus on moving these people somewhere that they'll have a better life instead of shipping water to the middel of the desert for them? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How long have these people lived in the middle of the [censored] desert? Is there less water in the middle of the [censored] desert than there used to be? If there's not enough water, why not focus on moving these people somewhere that they'll have a better life instead of shipping water to the middel of the desert for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 02-20-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's pretty awesome, although I'm not sure how it compares to some of the other ultras around that make runners carry their own food, water etc. between checkpoints. I'd love to see a better article with more details.

I found this odd:
[ QUOTE ]
At several points in their trek, the athletes stopped near sparsely populated wells to talk with villagers and nomads about the difficulties they face finding water. That marked another goal of the run -- raising awareness for the clean water nonprofit group H2O Africa.

"We have seen firsthand the need for clean water, which we take for granted in North America. It's such a foundation for any community," Zahab said during day 108's lunch break. The three plan to fund-raise for the group after they return home and finish recuperating.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long have these people lived in the middle of the [censored] desert? Is there less water in the middle of the [censored] desert than there used to be? If there's not enough water, why not focus on moving these people somewhere that they'll have a better life instead of shipping water to the middel of the desert for them? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you saying that b/c these people don't want to leave their ancestral homes that they don't deserve clean, abundant water? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
are you saying that b/c these people don't want to leave their ancestral homes that they don't deserve clean, abundant water? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to turn this into a political thread. That honestly wan't my intention. But most of these people don't have "ancestral homes". They're nomads, and historically following the water and food is exactly what they've done. Political and societal changes that have closed borders, made game more difficult to come by, allocated water rights, etc. have made things more difficult for them. With all that said, yes, if someone does have a choice and chooses to stay in a place where they're unable to support themselves then they don't deserve to have someone provide it for them in perpetuity. I do think a lot of what's going on in Africa (and other places) is very sad and I realize many have no choice to move somewhere permanently or aren't aware of their choices, but shipping water to the middle of the desert seems kinda nuts.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:40 PM

i see your point, and i'm sorry i asked the question in the first place heh