Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Finnish High School Massacre

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol at this from an article in a Norwegian newspaper: "[he] shot himself in the head. The police thinks he tried to kill himself."
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's pretty assumptive. For all we know he was playing a game of solo Russian Roulette and lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol assumptive. Also he does like the Deer Hunter. Me too for that matter [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finnish Him!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the first thing I thought when I saw this on the news.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My point is more about the hysteria than surrounds this situations than any flaw in what you said.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, good point. I guess I shouldnt have made my comment, as im not trying to create strife. I did the same thing after 9/11 when everyone was busy calling the terrorists evil and monsters and I disagreed. I guess I just dont understand hysterical reactions in situations like these

[/ QUOTE ]

They were evil monsters. They were not cowards, and they may have been right that that might have been the best way to pursue their goals. I don't think that absolves them of moral failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they say we are evil monsters....so whos right? And its a moral failure according to your set of morals, but there is no absolute when it comes to that, so again, whos right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of nothing more than an Onion point-counterpoint. Helpless schoolgirl: "Shooting me is wrong! Please don't shoot me!" v. Crazy Finn: "The higher evolution of the human race demands that I shoot you." I guess they just need to agree to disagree.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

They were evil monsters. They were not cowards, and they may have been right that that might have been the best way to pursue their goals. I don't think that absolves them of moral failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they say we are evil monsters....so whos right? And its a moral failure according to your set of morals, but there is no absolute when it comes to that, so again, whos right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's definitely room for a considerable degree of relativism, but I'm very skeptical of any moral system that considers 9/11 an acceptable means to an end. Nor do I think that you believe this, except as an intellectual exercise.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My point is more about the hysteria than surrounds this situations than any flaw in what you said.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, good point. I guess I shouldnt have made my comment, as im not trying to create strife. I did the same thing after 9/11 when everyone was busy calling the terrorists evil and monsters and I disagreed. I guess I just dont understand hysterical reactions in situations like these

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of nothing more than an Onion point-counterpoint. Helpless schoolgirl: "Shooting me is wrong! Please don't shoot me!" v. Crazy Finn: "The higher evolution of the human race demands that I shoot you." I guess they just need to agree to disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

way to dodge the excellent point by dismissing it as similar to some parody.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

way to dodge the excellent point by dismissing it as similar to some parody.

[/ QUOTE ]

An excellent point? To reiterate, the point is, "Who are we to say that shooting up a school is wrong?" The answer is obviously that we are adults of normal intelligence with the capacity to make moral judgments.

EDIT: What I said wasn't even parody. Schoolgirl says, "Please don't kill me." Crazy (or perhaps "differently sane") Finn says, "No I'm going to kill you." OOT says, "Man, that was evil." Alobar says, "No guys, don't rush to judgment here. They both make valid points."
Old 11-07-2007, 06:19 PM

It was just announced that the shooter is dead. Damn what a coward. I don't think this is a case of mental insanity. I think there are just some very very evil people.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 PM

I think the guy would be considered schizoid personality, by the psychiatric community. I read the same about the VT guy. These dudes arent fully psychotic, but the way they connect violence with half baked ideals is.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:24 PM

Then again, it's rarely even half baked, its overcooked.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol at this from an article in a Norwegian newspaper: "[he] shot himself in the head. The police thinks he tried to kill himself."
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's pretty assumptive. For all we know he was playing a game of solo Russian Roulette and lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually he was playing Polish Roulette not Russian Roulette. Russian Roulette is played with a revolver, he had an automatic pistol.