Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Trip Report: Getting Robbed at Knifepoint.

lao guys have soft skin i would have just gone with it.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
kkf he said he was english.

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont think so. he brought a gay lao guy with him and thats the guy who tried to blow him. the white guy is innocent in this matter. after he got home, it is the gay lao guy who lives close to him and works for the government.

is that correct whoiam?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kkf he said he was english.

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont think so. he brought a gay lao guy with him and thats the guy who tried to blow him. the white guy is innocent in this matter. after he got home, it is the gay lao guy who lives close to him and works for the government.

is that correct whoiam?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that's correct. The thing that really sucks is that I no longer have my phone and can't call any of my other friends.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:00 AM

1. i don't think there is that much room to be mad at the gay lao guy. if you are inviting him on dates with you and sleeping in the same room he probably figures that you are gay and playing hard to get or something. i just dont see straight and gay guys hanging out if the same groups over here or just being friends like they do in western countries.

2. if he lives close to you i am guessing that he is fairly well paid. he works for the government of Laos. yeah, i would be taking his threats completely seriously.

3. obviously cancel your credit cards if you haven't done so already

4. isn't there a midnight curfew in laos? when i was there, it was dead as dead after midnight. i probably wouldn't have been willing to hitch a ride with three other guys under these circumstances unless i was the one who waved them down and initiated it.

5. western union ftw?

6. just have your family in the USA mail you the new credit cards when they arrive? i don't know how long this will take but i doubt the turn around is more than a month. i would just chill out in nong khai for awhile.

7. atleast you have a cool story to tell people. you will probably think back and laugh at it. its funny that this dude let you take the knife from him and then pulled out a taser. that is something straight out of a movie.

edit: if you don't have a reliable address, i believe that you can have letters mailed to a Thai post office and pick them up there with your passport. check thaivisa.com/forum mabye.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:34 AM

Could you have bargained with the muggers and said "Take my money but let me keep my I.D. and ePassport card?". They likely wouldn't have known what it was since it's not a VISA card, is it?

Also, I've heard of muggers letting people take out and keep their SIM cards, too.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. i don't think there is that much room to be mad at the gay lao guy. if you are inviting him on dates with you and sleeping in the same room he probably figures that you are gay and playing hard to get or something. i just dont see straight and gay guys hanging out if the same groups over here or just being friends like they do in western countries.

[/ QUOTE ]
This guy knows I'm straight and I've made it clear that I have absolutely no interest in experimenting. By your logic, it would be fine to rape a passed-out friend of yours because she obviously digs you sexually if she's hung out with you. It would be one thing if he tried to kiss me when he was really drunk or something, but sexually assaulting a sleeping person is inexcusable.

[ QUOTE ]
2. if he lives close to you i am guessing that he is fairly well paid. he works for the government of Laos. yeah, i would be taking his threats completely seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
He makes something like $50 a month but has some other source of income I don't know about. He has friends who are doctors and lawyers so I doubt he's just some secretary or something.

I'm going to relocate as soon as I can. I have to walk by his house to get anywhere in the city. I don't think he knows my full name and I don't want him knowing where I live. I might go to Luang Prabang for a while and maybe spend some time Udan Thani when my 6 months from my original visit expires on the 17th.

[ QUOTE ]
3. obviously cancel your credit cards if you haven't done so already

[/ QUOTE ]
Done.

[ QUOTE ]
4. isn't there a midnight curfew in laos? when i was there, it was dead as dead after midnight. i probably wouldn't have been willing to hitch a ride with three other guys under these circumstances unless i was the one who waved them down and initiated it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think there's a curfew in Luang Prabang but not here. 99% of stuff is closed by midnight. Obviously what I did was stupid. I guess I felt like I'd be more of a target if I were seen as a clueless falang wandering around at night. I knew I was about 10 minutes from my place not entirely sure how to get there. I just wanted to get to sleep as quickly as possible and put the whole thing behind me.

[ QUOTE ]
5. western union ftw?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but I think I'll have to send my family a screenshot of one of my poker accounts or something to prove I'm not going to use the money for "gambling." But if I went back to the US for a month or two I'd be able to watch football. But I also wouldn't get laid nearly as much.

[ QUOTE ]
6. just have your family in the USA mail you the new credit cards when they arrive? i don't know how long this will take but i doubt the turn around is more than a month. i would just chill out in nong khai for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ] This isn't a problem, my permanent address is my Mom's house. I had a card replaced about a month ago and Fedex got it here in four days.

[ QUOTE ]
7. atleast you have a cool story to tell people. you will probably think back and laugh at it. its funny that this dude let you take the knife from him and then pulled out a taser. that is something straight out of a movie.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was weird, I didn't feel scared or angry while it was happening, it was more of a "you have to be [censored] kidding me" feeling. When the guy pulled out the taser and made it do the crackling thing, I just made an "ok, you win" gesture and handed the knife back to him. I wonder if the knife was dull on purpose. Like I said, I grabbed it by the blade and it didn't even cut my hand because it was so dull.

I'm not really that upset about it, all things considered. Physically I'm fine and I still have my laptop and poker money. If I start to get stressed I think I have a few valium lying around.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:42 AM

Tasers specifically shoot out darts that have cords attached to them; the darts are shot out and the cords conduct the electricity to the victim.

Stun guns I think are what you're talking about. Stun guns are really lame and I would just run.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you have bargained with the muggers and said "Take my money but let me keep my I.D. and ePassport card?". They likely wouldn't have known what it was since it's not a VISA card, is it?

Also, I've heard of muggers letting people take out and keep their SIM cards, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's funny is that earlier in the night I was telling the English guy about how I got the cheapest phone available here because I didn't know if I would be staying but I regret it every day because it's such a pain in the ass to use. Looks like I made the right decision. I wish I could have kept my sim card. I also lost my Thai sim card that I keep (err, kept) under the battery cover.

I had a knife to my throat and English wasn't their first language so I'm not sure if trying to bargain would be a good idea.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:50 AM

Wow, this big Gay lao guy sounds like a real Dick.

Western Union seems to be the only way. you can get a small meal for 40c there at least right?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tasers specifically shoot out darts that have cords attached to them; the darts are shot out and the cords conduct the electricity to the victim.

Stun guns I think are what you're talking about. Stun guns are really lame and I would just run.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Yeah, it was a stun gun. I briefly wondered if I would be able to take the pain but wisely decided not to find out. It's kind of hard to outrun motorbikes and who knows what other weapons the other guys had.