Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Official Dids Gym Thread

Thremp,

What are the negatives of what I'm doing now. What you suggest sounds like some good additions, but is there stuff I should NOT be doing?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM

Dids,

any activity is good. i think he's saying there are more effective ways for you to lose the weight.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 PM

Dids,

Nation is right on. Doing bicep curls, while much better than doing nothing probably isn't the best. You should focus your time on large full body movements. Probably bodyweight only at this point. For the same reasons leg extensions, calf raises etc suck. Find a low stoll and just sit down and get up 50 times. For that matter, anyone can do this. Its a lot harder than it seems initially.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:21 PM

Thremp makes some good points. Working on the machines and isolating your muscle groups aren't the best uses of your time. Doing full-body movements like squats and GPP things would be a better (and more physically exhausting) use of your time.

That being said, at least you're in the gym.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:37 PM

Dids,

Try to stay away from the leg sled for a while. Your legs are already strong from carrying your weight around for so long. Your body will produce more human growth hormone when you push up bigger weight like that on the sled. While it will make your body stronger overall, the additional HGH will be counter-productive to your weight loss goals because it will build muscle at a faster rate. Its safe to say your legs are packing plenty of muscle already. I agree with Thremp when he says to find a stool and do some sit up/downs or do some step ups on a low stool to work those quads while holding some low weight dumb bells in each hand. Hit that overall body stuff now like walking and sitting/standing and when you get to around 230 maybe start jumping rope for 60 second intervals.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dids,

Try to stay away from the leg sled for a while. Your legs are already strong from carrying your weight around for so long. Your body will produce more human growth hormone when you push up bigger weight like that on the sled. While it will make your body stronger overall, the additional HGH will be counter-productive to your weight loss goals because it will build muscle at a faster rate. Its safe to say your legs are packing plenty of muscle already. I agree with Thremp when he says to find a stool and do some sit up/downs or do some step ups on a low stool to work those quads while holding some low weight dumb bells in each hand. Hit that overall body stuff now like walking and sitting/standing and when you get to around 230 maybe start jumping rope for 60 second intervals.

[/ QUOTE ]

If his only goal is to lose weight (the number on scale) i guess you are right. But as for body recompisition you could not be more wrong.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:54 PM

I completely realize this. Body composition would definitely merit doing plenty of sled work, squat work, etc. If he's past the point of losing weight at a fast pace and into turning his body into a lean, mean, fighting machine then he should do these exercises to create that HGH, its an awesome thing your body creates. I thought he was wanting to lose the weight, work on his body while he's losing it, and then concentrate on toning and looking buff after he reaches X lbs. A lot of people want to increase the lbs on the sleds and squats each weak to show progress to themselves which is great but when you're trying to lose weight he should be doing the 20 rep amount at around 225 instead of 360. I'm not arguing that the sled is a terrible machine, I'm saying to hold off on it for a month or two at 10 reps.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:57 PM

Sofisdad,

Your advice is very poor.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sofisdad,

Your advice is very poor.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sofisdad,