Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Talking is ok, with my consent.
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

[ QUOTE ]
I read a pretty solid piece involving race recently (specifically it was about language and focused on the word "niggardly"), and in it the author stated (paraphrasing here): "When it comes to minorities, there's black, then there's everyone else." Sure it's a broad stroke, but it's true. Yes, there are some gross large scale incidents in our country's past and daily snide, ignorant remarks, but they don't hold a candle to slavery and segregation.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes the author look very ignorant. Sure, the slavery and segregation were really bad, but going from there to claiming that the genocide of native americans "don't hold a candle" in comparison seems outright insulting to native americans.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 PM

Not really. Native Americans aren't viewed in the same light as blacks, latinos, asians, etc., at all. It's a completely separate issue entirely. You're being nitty.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read a pretty solid piece involving race recently (specifically it was about language and focused on the word "niggardly"), and in it the author stated (paraphrasing here): "When it comes to minorities, there's black, then there's everyone else." Sure it's a broad stroke, but it's true. Yes, there are some gross large scale incidents in our country's past and daily snide, ignorant remarks, but they don't hold a candle to slavery and segregation.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes the author look very ignorant. Sure, the slavery and segregation were really bad, but going from there to claiming that the genocide of native americans "don't hold a candle" in comparison seems outright insulting to native americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Extremely dumb statement/argument. Worse, indicative of a really dumb mindset.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it certainly isn't equivalent to calling some dude a dork or an Irishman and Italian whatever they call Irishmen and italians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not, if the hatred/ignorance stems from the same place? Why would muttering "stupid chink" under your breath be any worse than muttering "stupid wop"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still dong get this. Ive never met anyone racist against asians, I mean wtf, other than maybe some old guys who hate the japanese because of WW2, Ive never heard anyone who is a blatant racist against asians. I view being "racist" against asians on par with being racist against italians, or the irish...its like it doesnt even matter.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Extremely dumb statement/argument. Worse, indicative of a really fat guido.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-07-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it certainly isn't equivalent to calling some dude a dork or an Irishman and Italian whatever they call Irishmen and italians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not, if the hatred/ignorance stems from the same place? Why would muttering "stupid chink" under your breath be any worse than muttering "stupid wop"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still dong get this. Ive never met anyone racist against asians, I mean wtf, other than maybe some old guys who hate the japanese because of WW2, Ive never heard anyone who is a blatant racist against asians. I view being "racist" against asians on par with being racist against italians, or the irish...its like it doesnt even matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this a few times. I think maybe only in card clubs, can't remember. There are dudes from every war we had with Asians who come out hating Asians. Sometimes they'll distinguish between types of Asians, sometimes not.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Borodog do you actually browse OOT in front of a lecture hall filled with students?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm administering an exam? Absolutely. What am I supposed to do for 3 hours? Jam my thumb up my ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where I come from the profs leave and make their TAs monitor that kinda crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never have I ever taken a final with the professor in the room. I'm surprised that boro, a Ph.D, sat in there for three hours. But knowing that he's browsing 2+2 while there makes it a little better.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Borodog do you actually browse OOT in front of a lecture hall filled with students?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm administering an exam? Absolutely. What am I supposed to do for 3 hours? Jam my thumb up my ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where I come from the profs leave and make their TAs monitor that kinda crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Summer session = no TAs FTL.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really. Native Americans aren't viewed in the same light as blacks, latinos, asians, etc., at all. It's a completely separate issue entirely. You're being nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I have a feeling that you don't live in an area with a significant native population?

Racism against Natives is massive, probably worse than any other group in North America.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
b/c the two social contexts aren't equivalent. as individual actions, they are all racist, but in terms of shared US experience and recent history they are not. social and political standing makes a difference. How often do you hear someone call anyone a wop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides even how often we call my Italian friend one, more often than I hear 'chink', 'gook', etc. Maybe it's a function of where I grew up.

To be honest, the most complaining I've heard about Asians come from Asian Americans who can't stand how exclusive the foreign Asian population is. They get the whole "twinkie" treatment. This was mostly in college. I now work with lots of Asians and Indians, both from abroad and raised here, and race issues never really come up. Indians ask me when I'm going to get married a lot, that's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could easily be a geographic thing. I've only lived in SF, DC, and LA, but I've never heard anyone use any of those terms except for guido, and then I don't even know if the people they were referencing were Italian. We may very well be getting to the point where Asians are viewed less as the "other" as recent immigrants. However, we're only a generation into this. Italians and Irish people have enjoyed a cultural anonymity in the US far longer and based on their Euro ancestry, it's different.
Wiki
"The Chinese Exclusion Act restricted immigration from Asia from 1882 until 1943 when the Magnuson Act was passed due to China's alliance with the United States during World War II. Increasing numbers of Asian immigrants began arriving after the INS Act raised the quotas set by the Magnuson Act, renewing Asian communities that had nearly died out.

During debate on the Senate floor, Senator Kennedy, speaking of the effects of the act, said, "...our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually.... Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset...." The act's supporters not only claimed the law would not change America's ethnic makeup, but that such a change was not desirable. However, in the end, this act dramatically changed the face of American society by making it a multicultural, multiethnic nation. Prior to the act, the United States was overwhelmingly composed of whites of European descent (89% in 1965), with the only minority group of significant size being blacks (10%)."