Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Getting started

I have been playing NL SH almost exclusively the last 2 years, 2/4 - 5/10. Have enjoyed playing limit from time to time but then I prefer 10-handed tables which is very rare nowadays on the online scene.

I enjoy playing 6-max as well but tilt pretty easy on that game compared to others.

Anyway I think about making a serious effort at the short handed games because I have a feeling that it might suit me better than NL, not sure though, thinking about starting with 5/10 and hopefully if it wents out well making it to 15/30 pretty fast.

So I wonder how to get started, any tips are welcome.

Are the games lucrative nowadays for a good player?

I am not familiar at all with this forum, maybe there are some good posts to read?

Ive been looking some in stoxtraders book and it seems pretty good, is studying that one a good thing to do for a newbie at the FL SH scene?

Tips on where to play is very welcome as well.

Lots of questions here but some help on the subject(s) would be very appreciated.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Getting started

start in sssh > read the sicky
Old 05-25-2007, 12:54 PM

"I enjoy playing 6-max as well but tilt pretty easy on that game compared to others."

don't play limit lol.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I enjoy playing 6-max as well but tilt pretty easy on that game compared to others."

don't play limit lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear, hear. Everything you've heard about limit hold-em is true.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:10 PM

In all seriousness tho, just be warned that SH limit is *the-ultimate* tilt-monkey breeding ground. A good players edge is pretty small these days and the swings can be soul crushing. You will go through periods where you will seriously question if you will ever win again and you will go through periods when you'll wonder how anyone could possible lose at this game because it seems so goddamn easy. SH limit holdem will make you it's bitch and then make you ask for more. It's a masochist's dream game.

If you still want to learn, read Ed Millers book before Stox's book. Stox's book is excellent but really meant for tougher games than you should be starting at. Jumping in at anything higher than 5/10 is asking for trouble unless you table select extremely well. I don't know what your roll is like but you should be able to find lots of 2/4-5/10 games where you can get your feet wet without risking too much. I would start at a site where you have a good RB deal or WPEX as RB can really help to pull you through your initial learning period.

Good luck.

Edit: you will also be shunned from BBV if you start playing limit, so make sure you weigh that heavily in your decision :P
Old 05-25-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness tho, just be warned that SH limit is *the-ultimate* tilt-monkey breeding ground. A good players edge is pretty small these days and the swings can be soul crushing. You will go through periods where you will seriously question if you will ever win again and you will go through periods when you'll wonder how anyone could possible lose at this game because it seems so goddamn easy. SH limit holdem will make you it's bitch and then make you ask for more. It's a masochist's dream game.

If you still want to learn, read Ed Millers book before Stox's book. Stox's book is excellent but really meant for tougher games than you should be starting at. Jumping in at anything higher than 5/10 is asking for trouble unless you table select extremely well. I don't know what your roll is like but you should be able to find lots of 2/4-5/10 games where you can get your feet wet without risking too much. I would start at a site where you have a good RB deal or WPEX as RB can really help to pull you through your initial learning period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best paragraph ever!

lol

soda
Old 05-25-2007, 03:14 PM

I just started playing limit again from NL, so I know what you're in for. If you are at all tilt prone, recognize right now that you will see more tilt inducing beats than ever before. So, you better get that under control quickly.

I highly recommend starting at 1/2 and working your way up. Even if you only play a couple thousand hands there, get used to the play without the money mattering at all. Then play 2/4 and note the subtle differences... work up to 5/10 where the rake is retardedly high and games not nearly juicy enough. Then, the 10/20 where the tables are TAG, TAG, TAG, Multi Tabling Reg, TAG, crazy 55/35 guy who is actually the best player at the table and be happy when a 40/6 fish sits down once every 2 days and gets fleeced in 25 minutes.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

These games are fun, but jumping straight into the 10/20 or 15/30 game is probably not a great way to start.

soda
Old 05-25-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TAG, TAG, TAG, Multi Tabling Reg, TAG, crazy 55/35 guy who is actually the best player at the table

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TAG, TAG, TAG, Multi Tabling Reg, TAG, crazy 55/35 guy who is actually the best player at the table

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two guys in the stars 10/20 with stats like these who are killing the games playing two tables at a time. There are probably more, but I know of only two.

soda