Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Question about raising

If (in a No Limit Texas Holdem Tourney) I want to raise, must I say the word "Raise" and then state the amount or is it equally sufficient to just declare "2000 straight" for instance?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:00 AM

Default Re: Question about raising

Presuming you are talking about real life poker, cause saying raise to a computer would be weird [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't think it matters too much, just move your chips toward the center and say raise. '2000 straight' might be ambiguous, just say I raise by 2000.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:45 AM

I think the best way is to do as follows.
1) Say "raise".
2) Call the previous bet by pushing in the necessary chips.
3) Announce the amount of your raise verbally or just put in chips in the amount you want to raise.

There are many ways to do this, but this specific method can't miss.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:12 AM

If you are new, make sure you say "raise" or the amount of your raise. I would keep it simple and just say "raise" before you throw any chips in. Nothing worse then throwing out a 1000 chip to reraise someones 300 raise and you get 3 callers behind you.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:56 AM

gesture upward with both of your thumbs and then push the chips in along with a little toy shark card protector. or if you're going all in say "all you can eat, baby".
Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Say "raise".
3) Announce the amount of your raise verbally or just put in chips in the amount you want to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just add the gloss that the intended raise has to go in all at once.

For example, blinds in an NL game are 100/200. Player in EP limps. Since you have suited A rag and know EP is trapping with KK, you excitedly declare "raise." You'd like to raise 4 x BB, since an A is sure to flop and you want EP's chips. You must then put 1000 into the pot - in one movement. You CANNOT call with 200, then throw in 400, then another 400. If you tried to, the last 400 would be disallowed. For this reason, you either have to make sure your raise goes in all at once, or that you state the amount of your raise at the outset (i.e., "raise to 1000"), after which you would be allowed to roll the chips in one at a time, if that was your bag.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Say "raise".

[/ QUOTE ]

Step #2 can miss. If you place more than the amount of the call out, then you are now committed to do a minimum raise - no more, no less.

I'd suggest skipping step #2. Do this:

1) Say "raise".
2) Count out your entire bet+raise (behind your cards).
3) Say "make it $_____".
4) Put in the chips.

This is not the way I do it -- I live on the edge and do this:

1) Count out my bet+raise.
2) Put the chips out (only saying "raise" if there is only 1 chip).

I sometimes announce "raise" when I want to get a reaction from the previous bettor/raiser.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'2000 straight' might be ambiguous.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might seem ambiguous to some players at the table but I don't think this would be ambiguous to any professional dealer. I hear it a lot in live play and dealers know exactly what it means.

I would add - don't ever say "I call and raise xx." That would be considered a call only in many card rooms. The verbally declared action of "call" could get you stuck at just calling. Say "Raise", then either cut out the raise and put it in in one motion, or declare the amount. If you don't declare the amount and put some chips in, then reach back for more chips you are string-betting and that is not allowed in most card rooms.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If (in a No Limit Texas Holdem Tourney) I want to raise, must I say the word "Raise" and then state the amount or is it equally sufficient to just declare "2000 straight" for instance?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd lay off saying "2000 straight" amd just say "make it 2000" or "raise to 2000". You'd be surprised at the things the local nits will try to do to get a raise disallowed (angle shooting).