Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: A specific biblical contradiction

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that -- despite his intelligence -- he continues to make the logically falacious arguments that he does makes him look like a troll, or at best intellectually dishonest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd reverse the ranking of the two choices, trolling can be looked at as an obnoxious, low-life 'sport' rather like dog-fights might, it doesn't totally define a person. ID ( intellectual dishonesty) is much more damaging/damaged and pervades ones entire life.

For his own sake, I hope he was a troll.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

True. While he seemed to revel in being called a troll, I think he was simply incapable of being intellectually honest. Being intellectually honest would have required him questioning his beliefs -- and like I said in another post, NR has 30+ invested in his religion so he's very unlikely to change his well-entrenched lifestyle due to a few posts on a message board.

He is obviously a master of self-deception. He'll never realize that he's wrong, though. When he passes away, he'll (more than likely) blink off into nothingness like the rest of us eventually will -- never realizing how much time he wasted on convincing himself of a lie.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whatever. We've heard this all before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record I've quit this place twice before and was asked both times by posters to stay. Even if I'm asked again I will decline this time. Fini.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just for the record I've quit this place twice before and was asked both times by posters to stay. Even if I'm asked again I will decline this time. Fini.

[/ QUOTE ]

NR:

Stop being a drama queen. You don't need to tender your resignation to a freaking internet forum; you can just stop posting. Is there some kind of severance package I'm unaware of?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:55 PM

NotReady, I hope I didn't contribute to this is any way. I think I have been a pretty nice guy...I go off on people like txag sometimes but I don't think I have really gotten into it with you in quite a while...and that's because you contribute to the discussions and I genuinely respect your opinions. I know I've made a least a couple posts in the past saying that you have helped to change my mind on something or at least helped me to see something that I hadn't seen...and I appreciate that.

I'd like you to reconsider but if participating in these discussions is not longer an enjoyable experience for you, I suppose it would be selfish for me to ask you to stay.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best, sir.

Chris
Old 10-03-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks and no, it wasn't you. I can take criticism. I just don't see any point when all that passes for debate or truth seeking is insults and ad hominems. I find myself responding in kind to no end and don't like the direction I'm going or the fact I may not be representing Christianity very well. Glad I could help, FWIW I'll still be a member of the forum and will respond to PMs.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You don't need to tender your resignation to a freaking internet forum; you can just stop posting. Is there some kind of severance package I'm unaware of?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just waiting for your permission to keep it legal.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find there is no openness to the Gospel here

[/ QUOTE ]
Well that's not true. All you need to do is provide a good reason why we should believe these texts have the super-worth you claim they do. This shouldn't be hard to do if you were really telling us the truth.

[ QUOTE ]
and I may well be doing more harm than good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly. I certainly think less of theists in general after watching you and your e-buddies flounder around trying to squeeze what we know about the world into your pre-fab Christian box. Oh, I forgot, facts and evidence could be part of Satan's master deception anti-plan for the universe.

[ QUOTE ]
I wish you all the best and assure you that if anyone seeks God with a genuine desire he will find Him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Much the same way that someone who seeks to find truth in their horoscope will find it. This doesn't seem like a good thing or something worthy of a reasonable person's time.

[ QUOTE ]
This is a fairly lengthy article countering the above quote.

[/ QUOTE ]
What a way to go out. A fadeaway link full of half-baked logic and shoddy reasoning. That you still refuse to own up to any of your intellectual dishonesty is a huge embarrassment. I guess you really had no choice but to leave before you were overwhelmed by "atheist propaganda." LOL. Good luck...and good riddance.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see any point when all that passes for debate or truth seeking is insults and ad hominems.

[/ QUOTE ]
This can't be serious. It's not our fault you take it personally when we say the Bible is bunk. I am open to the idea of it being divine, but you don't actually have a good reason to believe that. How can you possibly be claiming to seek the truth when you let your personal bias be the final arbiter of what is true?

[ QUOTE ]
I find myself responding in kind to no end and don't like the direction I'm going or the fact I may not be representing Christianity very well.

[/ QUOTE ]
No arguments here. You make Christianity seem much more obtuse and overtly ignorant than it probably is for most practitioners.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I just don't see any point when all that passes for debate or truth seeking is insults and ad hominems.

[/ QUOTE ]

NR -

Don't really agree that this is the status quo in SMP...maybe among the Christians and ex-Christians, but there are plenty of sane people to go around.

Anyways, I expect at some point you'll realize that "ulterior motives" don't exist. Or at least not in the way you imagine they do. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, genesis two specifically states that there was no plants when god created man. Genesis one states that god created the plants before he created man.

[/ QUOTE ]

"This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created.
When the LORD God made the earth and the heavens- and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no man to work the ground, but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. And the LORD God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil."

It seems to me that when god created man, he had alreday planted the garden of eden, so I would say that you claim that genesis two specifically states that there was no plants when god created man is incorrect.