FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: BB defend

[ QUOTE ]
Im sorry, didnt read it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No big deal [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The Tag would be NLCASH, dont know how to edit.
(The Video was NLTRN though)

[/ QUOTE ]

As you wish.

PS Non-mods can only edit for 15 mins after they post.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because this is NLHE it is much too complex an problem to solve the way you are trying.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. You can say "I adjust and if he raises every hand I do this in response", but OP's math is solid -- if you're only defending 25% of your BBs, opening w/any 2 is +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its +EV preflop doesnt mean its +EV in whole.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what part of his math is wrong? Here it is again:

75% of the time i gain 1bb so thats +0.75bb value
10% of the time i loose 3bb so thats -0.3bb value
15% of the time i see a flop with as a hopeless underdog, but in position, but i still have at least 33% equity of the 6bb pot = 2bb = loss of 1bb = -0.15bb value.

Obviously the part you can easily argue about is the postflop result if you choose to take a flop, but note that even if villain automucks if you call preflop, he's still 0 EV overall (.75*1 = .25*3), which is significantly better than folding his SB (-.5 EV).

We can improve on the automuck strategy pretty easily (for instance, playing on if we flop two pair or better), so obviously his hand has to have SOME value postflop, which means overall the play has to be +EV.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:23 PM

What play? Calling wide or raising any two? I dont think anyone is going to argue with you that raising a lot on the button is wrong or is that not what you are getting at?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What play? Calling wide or raising any two? I dont think anyone is going to argue with you that raising a lot on the button is wrong or is that not what you are getting at?

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP said that, if you are only defending 25% of your blinds, then raising 72o against you is +EV. You seemed to disagree with him. Do you disagree? If so, why?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:47 PM

In the big blind, out of position, you want to lose less than your opponent does in the same position. This is why defending with "only" 25% of hands may be ok, depending on the postflop skills of you and your opponent. If someone is opening 100% of their hands on the button, it is difficult (IMO) to exploit this pf without getting into very tricky positions postflop OOP. This is why an aggressive player who plays well postflop (especially from the button) is a very tough opponent.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the big blind, out of position, you want to lose less than your opponent does in the same position. This is why defending with "only" 25% of hands may be ok, depending on the postflop skills of you and your opponent. If someone is opening 100% of their hands on the button, it is difficult (IMO) to exploit this pf without getting into very tricky positions postflop OOP. This is why an aggressive player who plays well postflop (especially from the button) is a very tough opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone raising 100% can certainly be exploited in a SNG or in a low-stacks situation. You can just pushbot him. If SB's auto-making it 3 BBs, pushbotting will be +EV for the BB to about 25 BBs effective stack assuming perfect play for opponent. If SB's autominraising, it's not so favorable for BB -- only +EV to a stack size of about 14-15 I think. But since opponent's not perfect, you can probably squeak out some +EV up til the 30-40 BB range in the first example and up to 20 in the 2nd.

Agreed that in a deepstack/cash game it's a little more challenging.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 PM

What really kills someone opening to loose is 3betting him loose yes.

If you reraise him 30% of the time and call 15% we get to a point where i cant open that loose.
This will get more value for my premium holdings of course though.

But i agree, if you adjust its certainly not profitable to open any2. I just think that an opening range of 70% or so is already loose enough to adjust and defend with A2.

You cerainly shouldnt expect a 33 sng player to open that loose of course, so i guess the A7 fold was good. It was just an example, brian townsend throws it away too and people there are opening really loose by default i would say.

I also think that it really doesnt play that much of a role now. You dont get into that situation that often, maybe like 5 times per 100 hands. If you loose 0.1bb or win 0.1bb , it doesnt make that much of an impact.

Yesterday i played someone with a 9% roi over 3000 games in the 500s hu sngs and he was defending with A2 and much worse (i wastn openign 100%)
So you certainly can win very big with it (and without defending too) And you will get into alot of trouble postflop of course for a hand which probably is break even or something.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:55 PM

"But i agree, if you adjust its certainly not profitable to open any2"

i actually think this depends on how deep you are and how he adjusts.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:55 PM

a good opponent isn't going to 3x it 50/100 or even 25/50... that would make them... well not good...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a good opponent isn't going to 3x it 50/100 or even 25/50... that would make them... well not good...

[/ QUOTE ]

I play cash HU. My understanding of HU SNGs is mostly just theoretical.