Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 07:53 PM

Default Do you ever just call with nuts on the river when it\'s an obvious tie?

The rake may have been capped, but I wasn't aware of when that happened, so pretend it's a concern of yours here.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $1.00 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($79.25)
Hero ($170.35)
CO ($26.55)
Button ($154.45)
SB ($137.75)
BB ($72.75)
UTG ($99)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.8</font>, Button calls $3.80, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($11.60) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11.05</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $36</font>, Hero calls $24.95.

River: ($83.60) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $23</font>, Hero calls $23.

Final Pot: $129.60
Old 12-24-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Do you ever just call with nuts on the river when it\'s an obvious tie?

I've been shown a set here a little too often [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Do you ever just call with nuts on the river when it\'s an obvious

is this a joke?
Old 12-24-2006, 09:32 PM

I've just called in a situation like this:

PLO 25 or 50

$10 pot, river gives me the straight

Villain bets $5
I mini-raise to $10
Villain mini-re-raises to $15
We both have lots left over
I just call

Pot has been split everytime this sort of thing has happened has happened, no exceptions.

More often though, when I mini-raise he pushes pot, which makes it a capped pot so we end up breaking about even for the hand.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which makes it a capped pot so we end up breaking about even for the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if the rake wasn't capped you would have made about $.50 each. So by getting $50 extra in the pot you need to win about 1 time out of 100.

I consider this a math problem based on how much extra rake will be paid, how much more money you can get in the pot, and how likely you are to not chop.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:32 PM

The only experience I've had that has anything interesting to add is a live hand where I had the nut straight on the river. With betting on all previous rounds, EP bet out for the pot, MP just called, and with a decent amount of money left over I reallised that EP had the nuts and MP had something like top or second set. I considered the possibility that MP also had the nuts and was hoping for the most retarded overcall ever from me, but the rake had already been capped. I had no idea what to do, so just raised the minimum, EP called, and MP suddenly twigged that he was behind and folded. I don't think I could ever make more money in that situation (EP did have the nuts also) unless I had only a pitiful amount of money left behind.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:41 PM

calling when you are not last to act, hoping for an overcall, is standard in some spots.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:08 PM

I usually just call hoping someone else calls. very few, even donks, will call without a nut straight after a raise... especially if it's broadway.