Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Squeeze against unknown with big stack

Can I just assume that this is a decent spot to squeeze and go with it, all things considered:

Blinds 100/200

Villain1, Button (8,430)
Villain2, SB (2,943)
Hero, BB (3,743)

Folds to villain who raises to 400, Villain2 calls, Hero with J10o pushes AI.

Barry
Old 10-07-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Squeeze against unknown with big stack

Depending on your image, assuming villain 1 is a late raiser, considering your stack size is perfect for a squeeze and you have two live ones, yeah, this is an option. I'm more of a nit and fold preflop though.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:47 PM

Villain1 is the button raiser (I might not have made that clear).
Old 10-07-2007, 09:01 PM

I dunno, Barry

As I understand it, a squeeze play depends on the following reasoning from your two villains: Raising Villain1 thinks, "Hmmm, if I call the re-raise from BB, I might get re-raised again by Villain2, who must have a pretty strong hand to have called my raise. So I can't control the pot and I should get out unless I'm willing to commit here." And Villain2 must think, "Hmmm, I was OK calling a raiser, but not 3-bet, therefore I'm probably in trouble against a BB re-raise." According to Harrington, BTW, it also depends on the squeezer having an image that is tighter than that of the original raiser.

So my question is: given your descriptions of villains in other posts, do you think these villains are capable of making the reasoning required to fold to your squeeze?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, Barry

As I understand it, a squeeze play depends on the following reasoning from your two villains: Raising Villain1 thinks, "Hmmm, if I call the re-raise from BB, I might get re-raised again by Villain2, who must have a pretty strong hand to have called my raise. So I can't control the pot and I should get out unless I'm willing to commit here." And Villain2 must think, "Hmmm, I was OK calling a raiser, but not 3-bet, therefore I'm probably in trouble against a BB re-raise." According to Harrington, BTW, it also depends on the squeezer having an image that is tighter than that of the original raiser.

So my question is: given your descriptions of villains in other posts, do you think these villains are capable of making the reasoning required to fold to your squeeze?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I think villain1 could very well be stealing and Villain2, at this level, is just afraid and not knowing what to do with Qx, Kx or Ax or a midpair (less than 10). And there is 1K in the pot.

Barry
Old 10-07-2007, 11:05 PM

the first time the button min-raises my BB I think "hmmmmm"

my general feeling is people limp the button with weaker hands quicker than they min-raise. button has big enough stack that he might just be trying to get away with a cheap steal in which case the squeeze is good. even if he has a decent hand you have fe, so squeeze def seems reasonable.

folding doesn't seem terrible especially if i have a read on button and this feels like he's looking for action .

i think this is a situation where i can see myself potentially doing squeezing/calling/folding and none of them seem terrible to me. i think you could call and, if SB checks, check-raise all in on a lot of flops
Old 10-08-2007, 02:48 AM

It seems like a good spot to squeeze, although if SB's stack was like 2200-2400 to start it could be risky. I'd shove, or maybe make it 2000 str8 if u thought it would look stronger.

P.S. i'd rather have JTs here...but it doesn't really make much diff.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 AM

Meh I don't like SB's call here, looks pretty fishy given his small stack. If he's a loose donk I'm way more inclined to squeeze.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 AM

I shove, seems overall a very good situation for the reasons outlined in various posts above.
Also note the squeeze play, espeially AI doesn't really rely on the intricate reasoning given. A lot of it's value comes from that fact that you win twiceish what you would've won had noone called but you don't get called that much more often because normally the SBs range is very weak. You don't need the initial raiser to be tightening up his calling range because of the SB for this to be a good play.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM

i like it.this is solid agressive play . a call is reasonable. a fold is too tight. even if guy has ak you still have a decent shot at pot.just bc you are going to get called SOME of the time doesn't mean its not a good play.