Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:40 AM

Default What limits should I play?

BLUF: What limit sng should I be playing?

Background: I play at PS. My BR is $375, up from $50 in 12 weeks or so. Sharkscope has my ROI at ~30%. I played mostly <$10 sngs, 25 or so $10 sngs, and 1 $20 sng. Where should what limits should I ultimately be playing. I mostly single table.

Any suggestions.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Re: What limits should I play?

FAQ:

If you are playing SNGs for a living, you should have as an absolute minimum, 100 buyins in your account. 200 would be preferable. For all serious players, 100 buyins is the standard, although there is nothing wrong with taking shots at a higher level with less. You can make adjustments for this depending on how willing you are to move down in stakes after a downswing. If you don't mind jumping around stakes, as few as 30-50 buyins might be enough. However, it is preferable to only move up once you have 100 buyins at a given level so if you DO happen to go on a bad run, you won't have to move down to recover. The reason is simple... assuming you're beating a given level, you will recover quicker playing the same stakes as opposed to attempting to recover at smaller stakes.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 AM

if you want to actually make real money you have to play more tables and alot of games... a 10ROI at the 10 or 15 dollar sng would be decent. try multitabling the micro stakes sng and get confortable playing at least 4-5 games at a time..
Old 11-02-2007, 11:00 AM

So for the 100 buyin rule, 375/100 is a 3.75 tourney. Just seems so small. maybe I'll round to 5 and try it there. Also, the multi table idea is one I might shoot for. Maybe play 2 $5 or 4 $1. Thanks for the posts.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:11 AM

Did you read the rest of the paragraph or stop where it suggested 100 buy-ins?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:28 PM

If your ROI is really around 30% (sample size?), you probably have enough to play the $11s without much risk of going broke.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:00 PM

I read it. 375/30=10. That works too. I just don't know if I should multi table at that higher limit, or play them one at a time until I get to the $10*100 level.

My sample size is about 130 sngs. Not too many, but enough to get a good estimate.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:21 PM

I only play 1 table because I enjoy the games. I'm not trying make a TON of money - (did that for 6 years in cash games).

I'd play some $11 and see how it goes. Why get stuck on one level. I go all over, depends how much I want to pay attention. If I want to watch TV or surf a little I'll play $2 SNGs if I want to concentrate I'll play $30.

BTW - a 30% ROI is nice and very very doable if you are playing 1 table and have way good.

A lot of players question it but they are also multi table players that prefer quantity over quality. Nothing wrong with either.

Heck - my last 36 SNGs I have a 64% ROI in the $11s but THAT is a little hot I have to admit.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks Webster. I kinda jump from 1 to 10 based on concentration. I can play with the TV, but I seem to get all confused with the Phone. (I think the phone messes me up because it makes me look at the screen too much, causing me to have some fancy play syndrome.) Some days I get home from work and just want to unwind, so I play a series of dollar sngs. Saturday/Sunday I'll play $10s because I am fresh and can concentrate.

That being said, I'd like to start increasing my BR, so I'm thinking about playing more tables at once (2 or 3).

I'm just in a weird spot and want to make progress from here.

Thanks for your reply.
Closed Thread