Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Minimum security recommendations?

I have been away from poker and most security-critical computer activities (accessing financial accounts, etc.) for about a year. I just bought a new laptop a few days ago and I plan to play some poker again starting soon. I have not yet had internet set up at my house, so I'm on my neighbor's open network. I am pretty sure that is bad, so I won't be playing poker until I have a wired connection or my own secure wireless. On my XP machine, I used to run Zonealarm, AVG, and a router. I also ran regular checks with AdAware and Spybot. I am not up to date on the current security software or on what I need with Vista. What would be your recommended security requirements to play poker and access financial accounts on a laptop with a wired connection and with a wireless connection? Thanks!
Old 05-04-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Minimum security recommendations?

Do the things you just named and you should be good. Keep Windows up to date, Zone Alarm, AVG, router, secure wireless, AdAware, Spybot and Firefox.....you should be good to go. One thing I will mention is that I'm having trouble with AVG on Vista. They claim it's compatible and it worked ok for a month or so but soon quit updating properly. However, I have a customer and two buddies with Vista/AVG and everything is great for them. A google search shows I'm not the only one with this problem though. I'd still give it a whirl though.

Seriously, it sounds like you've got all the right ideas.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Minimum security recommendations?

Thanks! I mostly just wanted to make sure nothing important had changed in the last year or so.