Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 10:16 PM

Default KK tough river decision

I need help here - I keep looking at this hand over and over, and I just can't decide what the right way to play this situation is. There are two questions here: 1) Should I play this differently up to his river raise? 2) What should I do after his raise on the river?

Full Tilt Poker, $2/$4 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players

CO: $1,061.30
BTN: $408.50
SB: $552
Hero (BB): $856.85
UTG: $102.90
MP: $389

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $12</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $24</font>, CO calls $12

Flop: ($50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $50</font>, CO calls $50

Turn: ($150) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $150</font>, CO calls $150

River: ($450) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $150</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $512</font>

The villian is about a 35% flop player, a bit loose, a bit of a calling station, and twice in the two hours prior to this hand I've caught him making a bluff bet on the river (but this is the first time he makes a big reraise on me).

Because of his loose tendencies I could see him getting to the river with a wide range of hands. The reason I bet $150 on the river is to try to control the pot size - he may have got to the river with a jack in his hand (QJ, AJ, so on), and since I doubt he has the nuts KJ, I'm hoping he fears the possibility that I may have the nuts and only call me with a Jack instead of reraise. AQ seems quite possible, as well as a bluff to try to convince me that he does have a Jack. A set is also possible, but then why the reraise on the scare river card?

So, did I play this wrong? And, given that the pot is over $1100, can I possibly avoid tossing another $360 into it?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: KK tough river decision

Preflop is awful, you should raise quite a bit more. Flop, bet a little less, maybe more like 40. Turn, I'd also bet less, maybe more like 100.

On the river, if you can't fold easily here, I don't see what your bet accomplishes; I mean, you bet the river intending to b/f, right? Unless your opponent is supertricky, you have the best hand here roughly never. Fold.

Also: I understand that he made a big bluff earlier, but there is frequently a big difference between a bet and a reraise in terms of the strength it shows (even among donks).
Old 11-24-2007, 03:12 PM

I agree that a river raise rules out most bluffs, so he must have something, but it could be AQ. With that size of pot, is a fold still the right choice?

Clearly the river bet didn't do what I wanted it to (control the bet size on the river), but if I had just checked he would likely have pushed anyways, and still with tough decision.

I agree the preflop reraise was too small for KK.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:27 PM

Preflop, raise more. You are deep stacked, how about to 60 or so.

River is a fold, you are beat.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 PM

the preflop raise is too small for any hand. Fold river obv.