Today for lunch I had a salad with the following:

Spinach base
Chick peas
1/2 an avocado
chicken
Cucumbers
black olives

No dressing (don't like dressing).

You can rate it on a yumminess or a healthiness factor -- I really like the taste but not sure how healthy it is.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Rate my salad

Olives have a lot of fat, but they are definitely yummy. You'd probably actually be a little better off with some dressing, as protein needs fat to digest properly.

I like the chickpeas; they're great in salads. Chicken, avocados, chick peas, and olives are a little heavy, and I'd like something else besides the cucumber to raise the water content of the salad -- like green beans or tomatoes or both.

Also, some sprouts in that salad would be great.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Olives have a lot of fat, but they are definitely yummy. You'd probably actually be a little better off with some dressing, as protein needs fat to digest properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

The avocados are my source of fat. They are pretty high in fat as well. The chick peas and chicken are my protein.

[ QUOTE ]

I like the chickpeas; they're great in salads. Chicken, avocados, chick peas, and olives are a little heavy, and I'd like something else besides the cucumber to raise the water content of the salad -- like green beans or tomatoes or both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love the suggestions, I might add green beans or sprouts and maybe take away the olives.

Any ideas what kind of calorie level this is? I get this from a deli here in NYC so I can't measure anything. They use a scoop (ice cream scoop I guess) of chick peas, 1/2 an avocado, about 4-6oz of chicken and an ice cream scoop of olives.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:16 PM

You don't make friends with salad.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:13 PM

No idea on the calories.

Also, I like a little crunch in my salad. Some finely chopped or shredded red cabbage would be a great texture offset to the mealyness of chickpeas and the unctuousness of the avocado.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't win friends with salad.

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon
Old 11-29-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The avocados are my source of fat. They are pretty high in fat as well. The chick peas and chicken are my protein.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Love the suggestions, I might add green beans or sprouts and maybe take away the olives.

Any ideas what kind of calorie level this is? I get this from a deli here in NYC so I can't measure anything. They use a scoop (ice cream scoop I guess) of chick peas, 1/2 an avocado, about 4-6oz of chicken and an ice cream scoop of olives.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about (raw) green beans. They're bitter, aren't they?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:07 AM

I was thinking of the canned ones, which are cooked I would think. I have grown snap beans myself though, which are the same thing, and raw they are crisp and delicious straight off the vine.