Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: How should I play overpairs oop?

READ THIS POST INSTEAD OF THE ONE ABOVE, THE QUOTES ARE NOT F.. UP IN THIS ONE.

Thanks for your post overun and especially Matt Flynn. It is very nice to hear some background strategy instead just monosyllables [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] . That was exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated, thank you.

I have already heard about SPR, though I have not read about it yet, but I'm planning to, maybe in "Professional no-limit hold’em: volume one" by Ed Miller, Sunny Mehta and Matt Flynn!! I can't believe you are the co-author Matt. I didn't notice before I copied and pasted the title - pretty cool.

In a reraised pot (3-bet called preflop), and normal stacks the SPR will almost always be below 4.5 (that is according to what overrun is saying). Hence it should be okay to commit with an overpair or TPTK. I believe this to be theoretically correct. I also implies that you can commit every time with an overpair, in a reraised pot (where the shortest stack is approx “normal” that is 100BB), but I don’t like the idea of never folding an overpair in this situation, sometimes I do believe it is correct to fold an overpair here, though it is rare (1 in eight to ten times maybe, around the same times as the a weaker hand would have outdrawn you) I like your comment here Matt.

[ QUOTE ]

Once you hit the flop, you can improve on "blind" commitment. Play poker. If you think the guy's got you beat more often than the implied odds justify, fold. Provided you're right, you make more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a good idea to switch on the brain instead of playing blind commitment in these situations, it will give +EV in the long run. I require a lot of “feel” as you say, and that takes experience of course. I just love theory and general guidelines, to make a base for what you are doing, and to make sure your intuition is not way off. On top of the theory and guidelines you can play poker and improvise as madly as you want to.

[ QUOTE ]

also, if your bets get no action, randomize in some suited connectors and AK. you LOVE taking down the preflop pot with those. if they'll fold most of the time that bet alone makes money. you freeroll on hitting your hand. plus you aggravate people with your aggression, which can work to your favor whenever you have a good hand. once they start playing back at you, tighten up. a lot of this requires "feel," but it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do a lot of this, sometimes I even reraise with air, if there is a high probability of that the raiser will fold. Example: he has been raising a lot, I haven’t been reraising at all, and he is capable of folding to a reraise ofcourse.

I do agree with a lot of posters to make the reraise more than pot when you are oop. It is hard to control the pot in any way oop, and therefore it’s hard not to end up all in, even though you think you are beat. In position you have a better chance of getting to a cheap(er) showdown in case you want to. I have already begun making my oop reraises a little more than pot (approx 10%). My in position raises are still approx. pot.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your input W3rdy303.

We don't need anymore comments on how horrible the size of the 3-bets are. We know now.

How would you play this hand, we still need commments on that:

CO is a decent player so far, but we have not seen fewer than 30 hands agaist him. His stats are something like 25/20 to 20/15 at this point, aggression is not really known. But most people that raise 3/4 of their played hands pf are aggressive too.

SB Hero($1762)
CO($696)

Preflop Hero is in SB with Kc Kd
CO raises to 24$, Hero reraises to $96, CO calls

Flop ($198) 9d 2h 3s
Hero bets $135, CO calls

Turn ($468) 8s
Hero ?

What do we do here folks? Please elaborate on your answers, "shove" is not accepted as a good answer without elaboration. Explain the strategy behind your actions, pretty please.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHOVE BECAUSE THEY WILL CALL WITH MANY MANY WORSE HANDS DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 11-24-2007, 06:52 PM

There is nothing you can do in hand 1 really. It is merely bad luck he happened to have a set, but you lose a ton of value by checking this river, and if you are checking the river it should be to c/f not to c/c.

Hand 2 is trickier and comes down to reads and your own table image. I would shove the river for value vs most given how this hand played out, since most people will not slowplay a set on this board, but c/fing the river here is probably ok, since the only hands he can be bluffing with are J9,Q9, and maybe 55.