Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Who is the fastest player in the nfl?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting article regarding the subject:

http://www.insidefootball.com/draft/40yardarticle.html

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, I went to school with Menedez at EKU during the same time period. He was a sick Division 1-AA wide receiver but he was way too short to ever really do anything in the NFL.

His predecessor was even sicker. I forget his name now but he went to the Seahawks and made the probowl his rookie year. He was 6'5" and a walk on/

[/ QUOTE ]

Alex Bannister.

The guy who ran the wrong route that let Matt throw the pick 6 in the playoff game vs. Green Bay.

I [censored] hate Alex Bannister.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:29 PM

I vote Rocket Ismail during the LA Raiders glory years. Dat's one speedy black man fo sho...
Old 11-01-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hester runs 4.0 flat in full pads, but 4.3 on the track or in workouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt it...

I don't know if its been mentioned before, but the speed of a cut is as important if not more important than straight line speed in my mind.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:42 PM

L. Coles of the jets ran a 4.1 in college. i dont know if he still has 4.1 speed now but I will say him. They say D hester runs a 4.5 i cant believe that [censored]. he is amazing!
Old 11-01-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting article regarding the subject:

http://www.insidefootball.com/draft/40yardarticle.html

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, I went to school with Menedez at EKU during the same time period. He was a sick Division 1-AA wide receiver but he was way too short to ever really do anything in the NFL.

His predecessor was even sicker. I forget his name now but he went to the Seahawks and made the probowl his rookie year. He was 6'5" and a walk on/

[/ QUOTE ]

Alex Bannister.

The guy who ran the wrong route that let Matt throw the pick 6 in the playoff game vs. Green Bay.

I [censored] hate Alex Bannister.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep thats him. lol

He caught for Jon Denton at my school. Denton set NCAA recrds at UNLV his freshman year, got suspended for a couple games his sophmore year, then got kicked off the team.

He transferred to our school s he wouldnt have to sit out a year. He set passing records for our school despite being kicked off of the team for the last game or two. He was good but a bad apple to say the least. He also banged my good friend's girl, lol. Despite all that I think he might have still gotten picked up by an NFL team
Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_yard_dash

[ QUOTE ]
Many players with incredible times have also done amazing things in the NFL, for example:

* Devin Hester ran a disappointing 4.5 40 at the 2006 NFL Scouting Combine, but then ran a 4.35 when he participated in Miami University's Pro Day. He is now considered one of the best kick returners in NFL history and holds numerous return records.

* Deion Sanders ran the record setting 4.16 second 40-yard dash and played as an amazing cornerback, not to mention an outfielder in the MLB.

* Ellis Hobbs, a cornerback currently playing for the New England Patriots, ran a 4.3 second 40-yard dash and has gone on to tie the record for the longest play (a 108 yard kick return; Devin Hester and Nathan Vasher), and also hold the record for the longest kick return.

* Randy Moss, a wide receiver currently playing for the New England Patriots, ran a 4.25 second 40 yard dash. Moss currently holds the rookie TD reception record with 17.

* DeAngelo Hall, a cornerback currently playing for the Atlanta Falcons, ran a 4.15 (on rubber track, which is considered informal for the 40 yard) second 40 yard dash. On a regular dirt track he ran a 4.24.

Other notable 40 yard dash times (not all official or electric gate times) are:

Bo Jackson (RB,OAKLAND) ran a 4.18,

Deion Sanders (CB,DALLAS) ran a 4.17 (recorded officially by the NFL),

Joey Galloway (WR,TAMPA BAY) ran a 4.18,

Michael Bennett (RB,TAMPA BAY) supposedly ran a 4.13,

Willie Gault, who played with Walter Payton on the 1985 Chicago Bears, supposedly has time of 3.75 and 4.08, considering this, the fastest 40 ran by a professional sprinter was 3.9/4.0 by Asafa Powell (9.74,World Record), so the 3.75 stands as incorrect.

However, Gault did once run a more legitimate 4.1 40. There have been many other 4.1 and 4.2 40 yard dashes recorded, and many of these were hand timed once again bringing in the human factor of, "margin for error".

While the 40-yard dash receives a great deal of fan attention, NFL scouts also consider 10- and 20-yard dashes, as well as shuttle runs and cone drills, as measures of a player's agility and speed.

James merli of NHRHS football team has the fastest time recorded in highschool to date at 4.16 seconds

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Fast starting elite sprinters such as Powell (and others past and present) can run a "Football 40" in less than 4 seconds, due to the sprinter not having to react to the sound of the gun, and the starter having to react to their movement before the clock starts. In the 2001 World Championship 100m final in Edmonton, Greene covered 30m in 3.75 seconds and 40m in 4.64 seconds, putting his 40 yard (36.576m) time at about 4.34 seconds. When you subtract the reaction time to the gun (0.13 seconds), and a hypothetical timer's reaction time to Greene's motion, Greene's "Football 40" time for this race would have been less than 4 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]