Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is the Tactic of Fighting to Keep Tom Delay's Name on Texas Ballots Ethical?
No, it is not ethical. 17 60.71%
Yes, it is ethical. 6 21.43%
Neither 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Is this considered offensive?

A few points:

1) Why are people saying it wasn't funny? I thought it was a really cool impression and well done. I don't think many people could have done that nearly as well as he did.

2) The connection to blackface doesn't make any sense because he was impersonating a Jamaican. Painting your face black doesn't automatically make your act offensive. It all depends on the context. In this case, this has nothing to do with african-americans, let alone racism. A much better comparison is Chapelle dressing up like a white person.

3) I don't think Daniel should have to censor himself if he isn't being offensive just to stay away from controversy or anything like that. Sure, this might have cost him some money and PR, but that's his choice. You guys are basically advocating him to sell out. He's already rich anyway; it's not as if he is going to lose a lot of utility from that video. We always make a big deal out of celebrities and politicians being boring, PC, and dishonest, yet when someone tries to express their personality, they get criticized.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to whether those same people that found my video blog to be offensive also find this clip offensive as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs08a4D0lgg

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother asking us? Why not just screen it for your Black and Jamaican friends instead? Those are the only opinions you care about, right?

If you really are that stupid and can't determine if your youtube find is offensive, why not just use some Bayes Theorem to determine if an Eddie Murphy / Dan Akroyd clip from a movie that was very successful as a comedy is meant to be racially offensive or funny instead of being so purposefully obtuse. As just about anyone who has a brain already suggested, actually being funny goes a long way towards people being able to overlook things. If a skit is just lame (i.e. yours) then there is nothing to divert attention away from what then appears to be mocking instead of parody. How old are you Daniel? Do you really need to be told these common sense things?

BTW, it actually makes me quite happy that many of your followers find your video "hilarious". The more low-brow, low-IQ people in poker, the longer the games stay good. I wish there was an easy way to determine the correlation between how hilarious someone finds your video and their win (loss) rate. Yes I still maintain that being GOOD at poker is only weakly correlated to overall intelligence (genuinely intelligent people do not gravitate to a gambling lifestyle, dropouts do), while finding your video hilarious is strongly correlated to low IQ. Just look at the ability in discourse between your cheerleaders here and those more critical of your video.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding, have you ever seen a jamaican? that is exactly how they act and look and talk. He wasnt offending anyone simply showing people who havent had the chance to see or meet one exactly what they are like.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly why Dave Chapel walked away from his own multi million dollar show. He said why flimming a racey skit, he noticed the camera man, white, laughing at a bit that wasn't meant to be funny. It stayed with him all day and bothered him so much, he walked away. When he talked about it, he felt he was fueling all the stero types etc. and giving people who hated...fuel. I wish I could explain it better. It was very powerful to listen to him talk even though it was oprah

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a video of this on Youtube?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:47 AM

DN != Dave Chappelle
Old 02-16-2007, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, there are too many hateful posters in this newsgroup that aren't out to either listen or learn, but instead to look for fault in anything that I were to say or do. It's just not worth it to me. I have a forum that I post in regularly that's comfortable for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
i understand, thanks for the explanation.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you are right, but I disagree with so much of what's written in those forums that I doubt it would go over well. The approach to poker in general, is often so different from the way I see it.

[/ QUOTE ]
as a low $ donk who loses $ at poker, that's too bad, perhaps i could have learned how to escape from the negative side of the game (but probably not [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, it gets annoying after a while, having to argue with random people as to the best strategy to win million dollar tournaments. I welcome discussion about the game, but I have a circle of friends that I discuss poker with: Ivey, Harman, Lindgren, Juanda, Cunningham, and others. It's safer to talk to them then discuss poker in a forum where you will get chastised if you don't use terms like "Standard Deviation" and "EV." Probably my two least favorite phrases in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, Bill Chen's book was pretty bad [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

thanks for taking the time to respond though, i do appreciate it, even if i did 'hijack' the thread for a few posts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to whether those same people that found my video blog to be offensive also find this clip offensive as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs08a4D0lgg

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bother asking us? Why not just screen it for your Black and Jamaican friends instead? Those are the only opinions you care about, right?

If you really are that stupid and can't determine if your youtube find is offensive, why not just use some Bayes Theorem to determine if an Eddie Murphy / Dan Akroyd clip from a movie that was very successful as a comedy is meant to be racially offensive or funny instead of being so purposefully obtuse. As just about anyone who has a brain already suggested, actually being funny goes a long way towards people being able to overlook things. If a skit is just lame (i.e. yours) then there is nothing to divert attention away from what then appears to be mocking instead of parody. How old are you Daniel? Do you really need to be told these common sense things?

BTW, it actually makes me quite happy that many of your followers find your video "hilarious". The more low-brow, low-IQ people in poker, the longer the games stay good. I wish there was an easy way to determine the correlation between how hilarious someone finds your video and their win (loss) rate. Yes I still maintain that being GOOD at poker is only weakly correlated to overall intelligence (genuinely intelligent people do not gravitate to a gambling lifestyle, dropouts do), while finding your video hilarious is strongly correlated to low IQ. Just look at the ability in discourse between your cheerleaders here and those more critical of your video.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Cheech and Chong - geez fellas lighten up... and pass the spliff! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 07:12 AM

DN, I only thought your post was attempting to rationalize and to overcompensate for your guilt about the fiasco.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Nuts
Old 02-16-2007, 07:44 AM

That v-blog would have been funny if it had been an impression of the typical 2+2er.

Honestly, sometimes I'm offended by the impressions I've seen you do at the tables and I'm about as white as they come. Maybe it's different if you grew up in a racist society like the US - we are all more sensitive, perhaps overly, to this stuff I think. I dunno how Canada is.

I really didn't see the point of the v-blog. I mean it was a good impression as far as impressions go but I didn't get what you were trying to say. Maybe if there'd been more a point/message to it people wouldn't find it so offensive?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:38 AM

I didn't have a problem with the video, but immediately saw that others might just because of the blackface. I think you would have stirred up less anger and it would have actually been funnier to just have you with the dread wig on and no blackface. Your impression is strong enough that you didn't need that.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:43 AM

Please post a thread to your video. If you are not doing a re-make of the Al Jolson story, then I think blackface is based on your own inner racism which you do not understand.

Two colleges in Texas are getting bad national publicity because they had a party on MLK Day and went in blackface.

Several college fraternities have been suspended for blackface parties. On my first day in graduate school in 1969, a fraternity had the membors in Confederate uniforms and the pledges in blackface. There was a student protest and march about that. There was a student protest yesterday because of the recent blackface party. You must be totally unaware of the recurring national news.

You are a neat guy but totally self-absorbed, writing about having a milk shake. Fascinating. Actually, I am very self-absorbed also.