Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Which Poker game has the least amount of luck?

I play in a very soft $2-5 NL hold'em game and book a win 6 out of 7 sessions. I've played professionally since 1994 and nothing has been as steady as this game.

Limit O-8 is also pretty smooth but I'll never go back.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:07 AM

OMAAHA
Old 11-16-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One way to look at this issue is to consider if all players play the game optimally, which game has the lowest variance. I believe this would be the game with largest number of cards shown and smallest not shown. My vote goes for 5-card stud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using your criteria I say RAZZ, it is possible to never make a losing river bet. But then I suppose if all players in the game played optimally no one would ever call your river bet either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo
Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people I asked have said Pot Limit Omaha 8/Hi Low is the game with the least luck and more mathematically profitable. Also you clear bonuses much faster due the big size of pots. It's an action game of draws & redraws with very low variance contrasted to NL Holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. O8 hands take more time than HE hands. For one, theres obviously 2 more cards to deal out. But it also takes a bit longer to read your hand and the board, which adds a couple seconds to each hand. And finally because mistakes aren't as big in O8 as in HE(mistakes in HE will always cost you your stack unless you suck out while mistakes in O8 may just get you quartered or even sometimes you'll still win 1/2) people have less "auto fold" type situations so they take a few extra seconds.

99,396 and counting
Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Using your criteria I say RAZZ, it is possible to never make a losing river bet. But then I suppose if all players in the game played optimally no one would ever call your river bet either. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]
Never making a losing river bet is not optimal play in razz.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is in the context of the post I was responding to, nice try though, perhaps you can criticize my spelling or grammar next time.

Jimbo
Old 11-19-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is in the context of the post I was responding to, nice try though, perhaps you can criticize my spelling or grammar next time.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]
If you never made a losing river bet in razz because you had your opponent boardlocked, then an opponent playing optimally would stop paying off your river bets and you would be forced to bluff at a frequency based on the pot size to optimize your EV. No offense, I just wanted to be sure aspiring razz players didn't read your comment and wind up playing worse. If you want to misspell something next time instead, be my guest.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 PM

Last time I bluffed and no one called I still won the pot, get a grip please. Bluffing has nothing to do with the discussion prior to your involvement. Just wanted to reply so aspiring RAZZ players would not play worse by reading your out of context remarks.

Jimbo
Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 PM

HU4ROLLS
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 PM

Ray's point about stakes is significant. I've found some limit tables the betting structure doesn't suit the conditions. The way a typical pot goes, the decision on the flop looses it's importance as there's almost always nearly sufficient pot equity to justify calling 1 bet on the flop.

A game where your decisions matter, is a pre-condition for least luck.

So for FLO8, there are games where a rather low skill approach, will be very profitable, yet in short-medium term little luck. OTOH there's other game types where there's a huge amount of luck in short-medium term, and it's much harder to find a good edge (even against very poor players).