Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Pokertracker Postgres SQL DB question

Sorry about the noob Q. (and I did use the search)

I've been happily using PT for a couple of years and I keep reading about Postgres SQL. Can someone please explain what this is and why I should/shouldn't convert my DB?

Also, I have 10s of thousands of HHs on my computer. They're from Crypto so each hand has its own file (unlike Party's sessions files). I can't copy them onto CD/DVD as the sheer number of files crashes my computer during burning. I exported files from my PT DB in blocks of several hundered.

Will these exported files be suitable for re-import when I re-install Windows and everything else on my HDD? Last time I did this I was unable to completely import all the saved HHs.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Pokertracker Postgres SQL DB question

To consolidate those hands into more manageable number of files, try an 'archiver' utility like Zip, to compress and pack them into an archive, which you can store on CD and then unpack into a directory for re-import. That will save you alot of burning to as hand histories should compress very well.

There are tools around, to move files based on pattern matching into seperate directories, so you could may be move off all a months Hands into 1 directory.

Postgres SQL is a Open Source SQL (Structured Query Language) DataBase. You'll have to move off access when you upgrade PT to new version. And then you'll have to reimport hands anyway, as the new version stores more info, than was in the old Access DB.