Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 09:25 PM

Default All in, muck...

MTT in Tunica.. Player A bets out on an all spade flop, players B calls, player C goes all in having both players covered. Player A calls and player B folds. Both hands are turned up. Player A flips up middle pair with no kicker and player C shows a flush. Now comes the interesting part. Player A mucks his hand (power mucks) in a way that his cards are unretievable. The dealer kills the flop and pushes the pot to the only player with cards left, player C showing a flush. Player B protests and goes nuts that the turn and river wern't dealt out saying that player A could have made a runner runner full house even though player A mucked his hand. Thoughts?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: All in, muck...

You can't make a full house without cards. He deserves this for not protecting his cards.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:39 PM

Recognizing there may be a technical rule to the contrary ... Player A unequivocably mucked his hand. Although the cards speak, Player A gagged his cards before could do so. Stupid thing to do, but done, nonetheless.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:46 PM

The point is that player B was complaining that Players A and C pushed him out of the pot and player A didn't have the right to muck his hand. He thought that the turn and river should have been dealt out as a formality.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:47 PM

A muck is a muck is a muck. The only chance you have at making any hand is keeping your cards in front of you until the hand is dead. I don't know what the offical, technical rule is either, but I feel the dealer did the right thing.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the offical, technical rule is either, but I feel the dealer did the right thing.

[/ QUOTE ] I feel the same way. I was the dealer BTW.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 PM

I want someone with some floor experience to chime in here, because my first instinct would be that the guy is right, and that the hand should be dealt out. A situation occurred in my game last weekend where a guy tabled his hand, realized it was a 'loser' and then flipped it over and mucked it. However, it WASN'T a loser, and he was awarded the pot, even though the cards were in the muck and irretrivable. Everyone had seen his hand, and the dealer knew what his cards were, and cards speak. The purpose of the rules is to guarantee that the best hand gets the pot, and the best hand is determined by the best 5 of 7 cards.

I think the dealer was wrong here, but I am by no means certain.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Did you ask the floor afterwards?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 PM

The tounrey director was called over and told the player that since there was only one hand left the turn and river were irrelivant.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:05 PM

I am not a floorman, nor a dealer, nor do I play in brick and mortar cardrooms very often. But I believe, from what I've read here in the past, that Player B is correct, *because this is a tournament*. The dealer would be right in a cash game.

-McGee