Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Mother commits suicide at same spot as her only daughter

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And don't start me on children owing parents. Do children owe to marry someone they don't love because it will make their domineering control-freak parents happy? Do children owe to take up occupations prescribed by parents? Where does it end? People make a lot of choices that make their family unhappy, that's the chances you take when you procreate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only said this twice already, let me say it again. This is my view of what a child owes its parents:

"by fulfilling your obligation to yourself to live well, to find whatever your idea is of happiness and obtain for yourself on your own terms the best life possible given the start your parents have given you, you are also implicitly fulfilling your obligation to your parents. You are making the most of the life they have given you, and allowing them to find happiness in your happiness, and pride at your success"

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this quote is that it assumes that "being alive" is the optimum state for everyone.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not trolling, I don't know what to say. Of course it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trolling at all. I understand that you, personally, do not feel this way -- and the vast majority of us don't -- but there are people for whom life is absolutely miserable. For such unfortunate folks, being alive is not the most desirable state of affairs.

-McGee
Old 09-19-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But you should LIVE, and find happiness, and let them be happy at that. If you have had loving, supportive parents and you're not suffering any unconquerable mental illness, you do not have the right to kill yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make this point over and over but you keep ignoring the fact that she didn't ask for life so why is she obligated to keep it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because that point's facile and beneath contempt. None of us chose to be born; yet, finding ourselves alive, we all live by codes of rules set by our friends, families, society and government.

[/ QUOTE ]

A social contract such as the one you describe, however, suggests that the person voluntarily enters into it -- by choosing to live in society. You're not giving them the ability to opt out.

-McGee
Old 09-19-2007, 11:45 AM

Jimm,

There is no indication the daughter killed herself, just speculation. It could just have easily been an accident.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jimm,

There is no indication the daughter killed herself, just speculation. It could just have easily been an accident.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems super-super-super unlikely!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM

The chances of it being an accident are probably about the same as the chances of her not being mentally ill. Why would you expect a mentally ill person to think and behave rationally?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 PM

I forget what book it was in, maybe the Tipping Point, but it said whenever there are reports of suicides in the newspaper, car crash rates increase.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 PM

So much for me not arguing this all day.

Luckyjimm, I also find your characterization of the mother's death inconsistent with your stated overall view on suicide. For all we know, this woman's mother was still alive. At the very least, we know that she had a husband. Why doesn't she "owe" to her loved ones what you claim her daughter owed her?

It seems to me that you're upset because a)you think the girl needlessly killed herself, and b)that led to her mother doing the same. Both of those things could very well be true; I don't necessarily disagree with either of them. But my objection is that you are turning those emotions into what I consider to be an inconsistent and ill-thought out philosophy on the subject.

-McGee
Old 09-19-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The chances of it being an accident are probably about the same as the chances of her not being mentally ill. Why would you expect a mentally ill person to think and behave rationally?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I don't accept that a love-sick teenager is "mentally ill". Probably seen Romeo & Juliet a few too many times.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I don't accept that a love-sick teenager is "mentally ill". Probably seen Romeo & Juliet a few too many times.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no clue what was going on in her life outside of the breakup, so what makes you think that was the only problem she was dealing with? ASSumptions FTL.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:32 PM

Wow you douches are so selfish you wont even let people kill themselves without insulting them.