Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:30 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question about the AQ hand on p.131.

According to SPR min-reraising maximizes your ev postflop when called, so you min-reraise. Given the range assigned to villain do we want him to call? If not how do we know that minraising, which has zero fold equity preflop, is better than for example making a 3x reraise which has some fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

you want him to call because we're assuming that he re-re-raises with the hands that dominate you, so if he flat calls it means that he has a hand which you have very good pot equity against, as well as initiative and fold equity on the flop....

making a bigger re-raise is certainly an option (and probably the more "accepted" line - along with calling) and will yield more PREFLOP fold equity, but you are essentially turning your hand into a bluff because he's only calling with hands that crush you.....

so then it becomes a comparison of the EV of winning the immediate preflop pot vs. the EV of thickening the preflop pot and playing out the hand postflop....it's a complicated calculation because of the large decision tree branches of possible ranges of flops with possible ranges of his hands with possible actions by both of you....

but the point of the example is just to show an alternate way of dealing with a hand like this by using REM creatively....sometimes rather than playing your hand preflop to "take the pot down right now", you can make more money by playing postflop poker.....
Old 07-31-2007, 03:32 AM

I've been playing poker for 3 weeks but only in play money. Now, I'd like to play in real money. I have not read a poker book yet and I just know the rules of Holdem. I know nothing about odds, probabilities, strategies, etc... so do you think that "Professional No-Limit Hold 'em Volume 1" is a good first book ?

Does it introduce the concepts mentioned above ? Do you think that is a good book for someone who wants to play poker more seriously ?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing poker for 3 weeks but only in play money. Now, I'd like to play in real money. I have not read a poker book yet and I just know the rules of Holdem. I know nothing about odds, probabilities, strategies, etc... so do you think that "Professional No-Limit Hold 'em Volume 1" is a good first book ?

Does it introduce the concepts mentioned above ? Do you think that is a good book for someone who wants to play poker more seriously ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't think it would be a good book for you to start out with. Try Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller as a first book.

RZ
Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the Theory of poker first and start with the microstakes.
then read Harrington on holdem VOL1 and VOL2 you should now see a profit in your results.
Read the pokermindset to learn how to deal with bankrollmanagement and bad beats etc.

When you master these books and make a solid profit move up a level or two depending on your bankroll and start reading NLH Theory and practice a couple of times.

After reading and fully understanding these books you can start with PNLH.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:42 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Read the Theory of poker first and start with the microstakes.
then read Harrington on holdem VOL1 and VOL2 you should now see a profit in your results.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am sorry but this is bad advice. He barely knows the rules, the Theory of Poker will give him a migraine headache.

Getting started in Holdem first. He isn't ready for solid food.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:32 PM

Theory of poker is all basic he knows the rules i presume he's playing poker for 3 weeks now.

If he's not familiar with starting hands and position he needs to first read getting started in holdem, thats at least 7 books to read for him lol.

Well we all did, i wish there was someone who told me to read this books before i started realmoneygames, that would of saved me a couple of hundered $'s...
Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 PM

This is driving me mad that some people have had this book read already and I can't get it. Barnes and Noble says that it is showing backorder for them. The girl I spoke with said that she didn't know how long it will take to get to them. I almost wish I hadn't cancelled my Amazon order now.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:21 PM

I would definitely NOT read ToP first. That book is for intermediate to advanced players.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:27 PM

FWIW, I read HoH1 as my first poker book, then HoH2, and then TOP. This seemed to be a very reasonable order and I didn't have too much difficulty with any of the texts (though I've since read TOP a couple of more times through and it's clear I didn't get full value the first time).
Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 PM

boarders.com says 2-5 WEEKS !!!!!