Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2006, 02:18 PM

Default NL MTT, QQ, 2nd Hand

I'm not a tourney player; my regular game is NLHE, cash.
But I just tried entering an online tourney... and I got confused as soon as I started playing.

Ok, 3k in tournament chips, 20-40 blinds. On the second hand of the tourney, I was the big blind. I got Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. All folded to the SB. SB completed. I made it 160-to-go. SB called.

Flop: [4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

SB checked. I bet 300T into a 320T pot. SB made it 1020T-to-go.

Questions:
1. Did I make the right flop bet?
2. What should my play be after the SB check-raise?
3. Am I asking very obvious questions?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Re: NL MTT, QQ, 2nd Hand

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a tourney player; my regular game is NLHE, cash.
But I just tried entering an online tourney... and I got confused as soon as I started playing.

Ok, 3k in tournament chips, 20-40 blinds. On the second hand of the tourney, I was the big blind. I got Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. All folded to the SB. SB completed. I made it 160-to-go. SB called.

Flop: [4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

SB checked. I bet 300T into a 320T pot. SB made it 1020T-to-go.

Questions:
1. Did I make the right flop bet?
2. What should my play be after the SB check-raise?
3. Am I asking very obvious questions?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a blind battle? That always complicates things.

1. Yes, I like the flop bet and the size. You have an overpair and a draw to the third best flush.

2. I'm pushing. The SB is likely to reraise here with a ten or even just the A or K of diamonds. He may have two small diamonds in which case we still have outs to our flush. I think your hand is good here to often to fold and calling just calling is bad since it's going to be hard to know where we are if a A, K, T or diamond comes off.

3. No, this hand is far from cut and dry especially for someone with little MTT experience. You have to realize the competition in MTTs is very different from a cash game and you're gonna see players play a lot worse holdings.