Old 10-11-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: KT gets teh road rage - TR

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Every day. Like clockwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

except rotaries go counter-clockwise...[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about countries where they drive on the left? Would the rotaries there be clockwise?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about countries where they drive on the left? Would the rotaries there be clockwise?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but they're called roundabouts there.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:06 PM

I remember one morning I was going to a client's office and was not familiar with the area. I realized at the last second I needed to get off an exit and veered off fairly quickly (at what I thought was a safe distance from the nearest car).

Anyway, the car behind me pulled up in the next lane and a woman flashed a sign that read "Don't be an ***hole."

I immediately realized what I had done was a little dangerous, but then came to the more insane realization that the women had taken the time to create a custom sign for these types of situations.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again...I stand corrected.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

not only is this accepted around Boston, not only do people use the breakdown lane to pass on the right, but it's actually legal to do so during rush hour

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember last year some out-of-stater pulled over in the breakdown lane on 128 during afternoon rush with car trouble and was flattened by a flatbed landscaping truck cruising at around 60 in the breakdown lane.

No charges were filed.

Also, once I hit the SE Expressway, all rules are off.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Not to get off topic, but there is a difference between a rotary and a roundabout. For you Worcesterites, the old circle at Washington Square was a rotary. What they are now reconstructing at a much smaller radius is a roundabout.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:12 PM

I kind of figured that the reason for their popularity was cost relative to traffic lights. As for "keeping traffic moving" I suspect that this is highly dependent on traffic volume. I haven't really observed this, but I suspect that at a high enough volume, they will rapidly switch from "keeping traffic moving" to "backing traffic up in all directions". Of course, traffic lights will back up traffic pretty well with heavy volume, too. As you may have guessed from my post, I don't like them much.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember one morning I was going to a client's office and was not familiar with the area. I realized at the last second I needed to get off an exit and veered off fairly quickly (at what I thought was a safe distance from the nearest car).

Anyway, the car behind me pulled up in the next lane and a woman flashed a sign that read "Don't be an ***hole."

I immediately realized what I had done was a little dangerous, but then came to the more insane realization that the women had taken the time to create a custom sign for these types of situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've often fantasized about doing something like that, but I've never actually done it.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I kind of figured that the reason for their popularity was cost relative to traffic lights. As for "keeping traffic moving" I suspect that this is highly dependent on traffic volume. I haven't really observed this, but I suspect that at a high enough volume, they will rapidly switch from "keeping traffic moving" to "backing traffic up in all directions". Of course, traffic lights will back up traffic pretty well with heavy volume, too. As you may have guessed from my post, I don't like them much.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is also a new purpose for roundabouts. It's called "traffic calming". Roundabouts are installed at intersections as a means to slow down traffic. I would never approve one here, but that's what they do in some places.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've often fantasized about doing something like that, but I've never actually done it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife once found a sign in my car that said 'You stupid [censored] bitch' scrawled on the back of an envelope with a Sharpie.

Hilarity did not ensue.