Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: xorbie
Exactly what I expected 5 20.00%
Pretty much what I expected 2 8.00%
Kinda what I expected 5 20.00%
Not really what I expected 6 24.00%
Definitely not what I expected 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: 2008 Presidential Primaries

I would convince Hillary Clinton and any other Democratic candidate that would listen that it is in their best interests to support our cause.

I would prepare to mobilize to get out the poker players vote.

I would educate our members that nearly all of our support is coming from Democrats. I would educate our members that the Republican candidates are all bending over backwards to please the Religous wackos. I would educate our members that the law will not change if Republicans take back the House and Senate or keep the White House.

I would not bother talking with Dennis Kucinich, Ron Paul or any of the other fringe candidates who make no difference. In fact, I wouldn't waste my time researching them or typing their name if I was really concerned about making a difference.

I get the feeling, just from reading this board, and I realize its just a poker message board, that there are a lot of kooky libertarian poker players who are lumping this in with other issues. That worries me.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roy, It's not about more than online poker to me. I hope to God the PPA locks tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy freaks like you in the closet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're just going to rudely criticize without offering positive suggestions, I'll have to ask you to start your own thread, where you can bitch to your heart's content, because you're doing nothing more than flaming this one.

Cheers and goodbye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Next time I'll put some libertarian pictures up and some wacky references to the massive corporate plan to dominate the world so I can be relevant.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would convince Hillary Clinton and any other Democratic candidate that would listen that it is in their best interests to support our cause.

[/ QUOTE ]

How? Tell her she's stupid if she doesn't? That seems to be your approach with us.

Are you aware that we had a week where we called Barack Obama several times each to encourage him to sponsor one of our bills? Are you aware of all the work we're doing?

It seems we always get some guy with fewer than 100 posts who feels we're all stupid and that we need to have this explained to us.

[ QUOTE ]
I would prepare to mobilize to get out the poker players vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you appear to be very skilled at influencing and motivating people.

[ QUOTE ]
I would educate our members that nearly all of our support is coming from Democrats. I would educate our members that the Republican candidates are all bending over backwards to please the Religous wackos. I would educate our members that the law will not change if Republicans take back the House and Senate or keep the White House.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you analyze the entire House, as I did at Politicians For and Against Online Poker, or would you just tell us that since you think it, it must be true?

[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling, just from reading this board, and I realize its just a poker message board, that there are a lot of kooky libertarian poker players who are lumping this in with other issues. That worries me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a hell of a way of communicating with people. Best of luck with that.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roy, It's not about more than online poker to me. I hope to God the PPA locks tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy freaks like you in the closet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're just going to rudely criticize without offering positive suggestions, I'll have to ask you to start your own thread, where you can bitch to your heart's content, because you're doing nothing more than flaming this one.

Cheers and goodbye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. Next time I'll put some libertarian pictures up and some wacky references to the massive corporate plan to dominate the world so I can be relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just try not being such a [censored].
Old 09-10-2007, 11:52 PM

Engineer:

I appreciate all the hard work you do. I've followed this forum and tried to do your weekly action plans as my work/poker/family time have allowed. Best of luck and keep fighting the good fight. I just hope our time is spent on those that might show a willingness as well as an ability to change it.

dorethawsp
Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just hope our time is spent on those that might show a willingness as well as an ability to change it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul has already shown the willingness. We know exactly where he stands.

Now the task at hand is to get him elected.

You don't know the events of tomorrow any better than anyone else.
You simply cannot say he has no chance, and you have no place berating others who think he does.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just hope our time is spent on those that might show a willingness as well as an ability to change it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul has already shown the willingness. We know exactly where he stands.

Now the task at hand is to get him elected.

You don't know the events of tomorrow any better than anyone else.
You simply cannot say he has no chance, and you have no place berating others who think he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has no chance. I promise you. None. Zero. And if you want to act like he does, I certainly will berate you and laugh at you.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 AM

From last month's Mark Davis article on the RCP website: Ron Paul: Idea-Driven, Decent, Unworthy

[i]The bad news for Dr. Paul and his followers is that their brains are simply too full of nutty things for them to be taken seriously in any grand sense.

For example, there is a corner of American economic thought that is skeptical of the Federal Reserve and laments our departure from the gold standard, now obsolete across the globe. But the Ron Paul take is that the Fed and its various chairmen have acted as sinister puppeteers doing the bidding of an ill-defined elite.

This John Birch-style conspiracy geekdom has sparked appeal among the disaffected of all ages, especially twentysomethings ripe for the artificial know-it-all vibe that often accompanies three to six years of adulthood.

File all that under disturbing quirkiness. But it is the Ron Paul take on fighting terror that makes him unfit for even the briefest consideration for the presidency.

In the now-famous May 15 GOP debate in South Carolina, he stood out among the crowded field by blaming America for 9/11. "We've been over there," he lectured. "We've been bombing Iraq for 10 years. ... What would we say here if China was doing this in our country?"

That phony equivalency rises to the level of sheer moral idiocy, and it doesn't stop there. Dr. Paul's longstanding unfortunate tendency is to rope Jesus into his war objections. Today, the notion of going to war to actually prevent additional terrorism strikes him as antithetical to the concept of a "Prince of Peace."

We should expect sixth-graders to recognize that peace is not the mere cessation of hostilities. Peace is what you get when the good guys win.[i]
Old 09-11-2007, 12:55 AM

I really doubt we have a clear-cut choice for Pres. Our weight will be behind House and Senate races. Yes, to whoeve said it, Im holding out that a Republican or Democrat gets desperate for votes and comes knocking. Feb 5 will determine the nominee, not interest groups. The work will be after, probably.

What I WANT DESPERATELY TO AVOID is some sort of whacky movement to get behind RP with weight. Vote your conscious or interest or both. But, don't tie RP around our neck like a huge weightstone. We will drown, and ANY cred we build up will be lost with the mainstream parties. "Oh they are just more tinfoil hat TriLat conspiracy nuts, let them vote for Nader or Browne." RP has no [censored] sense. None. He had a chance before the debates started to hone his message, shut up about the stupid [censored], and win some backing. His war message is good, and his poker stance is. Everything else is from some whacky militia conspiracy novella. We need to keep our official distance.

Engineer, just a thing about what you left out on what an average non FoFNazi Republican voter wants.
1A. Competence. You need to be able to trust him to run the government well.
1. Pro Smaller government
2. Pro Lower Taxes
3. Strong on National DEFENSE....

Maybe RP is there with taxes and small gov't but 1A and 3, hell no.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on people there is a place for passion as well as realism here. You want to test out you passions in a primary fight, fighting the good issue fight, go for it. Just don't feel you suffered a bad beat and tell me the system is rigged after you loose with your pocket 10's candidate when I can tell you it's going to take Jacks or better to win.

IMO the PPA has little place in the Presidential elections. Yes this is a personal opinion, not factor by any conversations with any one including ET(not a typo I mjean ET!). As strong as we think we might be or even hope we might become, single issue advocacy doesn't move general elections.

Our fight is in the legislative trenches. We either prove we are a force that can move a congressional or State wide election of we fold up tent and hope for the best. I think TE is right; KY is the key to our future. Either we can operate as a functional grassroots operation of we can't.

I've posted that KY's race is like holding the absolute nuts and the whole table is betting into us. We may have to spend a little to save our place at the table and the implied odds of the win might not be all that fantastic, but we have to play the wonderful hand dealt to us.

We may or may not get the monster pot I think is out there for us to win, but playing it safe or trying to slow play it is a mistake IMO. The real pay off is in our table image. If we can show we can play this hand politically correctly and capitalize on the potential profit, IMO it will reap rewards in future pots.

Well that's the way I read the table,

D$D