Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Super cheap public car auctions

I've bought multiple cars at auction, although they were always public auctions. You need to have a good eye/ear for a vehicle, and an understanding of it's real value. I've been happy with all my purchases, and usually use the rule of thumb that if I have to dump $1k into the car is it still a decent buy.

I've never had to dump 1k into a car, so I've been fine so far.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:43 PM

Check out Nationwide Auction

They have a lot of surplus/old govt vehicles as well as whole bunch of other stuff.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The thing is, you're almost always going to be bidding against dealers and representatives of car lots who can afford to pay more than you can. By the time you've outbid those guys, you're not getting much of a deal, anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Presumably you'd still get a better deal than if you went and bought the same car from the dealer the next day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, especially when you factor in that you get no warranty, no guarantee, and basically no recourse if you buy a clunker. You usually won't get a chance to do more than start the car and maybe lift the hood, at least at the auctions I've been to.

SpaceAce
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anything, the dealers should be able to pay less.
They have to bid low enough to flip the car for a profit.
You just want the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealers know exactly how high they can go and still turn a profit. The dealers have teams of mechanics and garages full of spare parts, too. Like I said, if you outbid the dealer, you probably aren't getting over by much.

I don't mean you can never get a good deal, just that you shouldn't be fooled by the hype in the television ads and classified columns.

SpaceAce
Old 09-07-2007, 03:08 PM

I have two friends who do this every tuesday morning. They actually both currently own a "BEATER JEEP" if you will, both own very nice sports cars as a daily driver but use the jeep to tow things and when they go out with friends and need to pack out more then a two seater. You can get some very nice deals and one friend has already sold 2 jeeps in the past 6 months for a nice profit, one only needed a new water pump and he does all the work himself. If you have a friend who is a good mechanic, you can pick up a decent vehicle and get it running in no time for a great deal.