FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Favorite Classic Nintendo Game

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol that was definitely deserved, oh well
Old 11-15-2007, 04:53 PM

I think the ones I liked have all been mentioned in this thread, but my favorites were probably (in about this order)

Crystalis
Baseball Stars
River City Ransom
Bionic Commando

Baseball Stars and RCR both added RPGish elements to genres that didn't typically exhibit them, which was a big hit for me at the time, and I've actually played both of those games within the last couple years. A lot of the older RPGs are pretty damn annoying to try and replay (I'm looking at you, Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy I), so they suffer in my eyes, though I did like them as a kid.

I love love love the Metroid series, but strangely don't find the original all that compelling. Super Metroid is probably my most loved game of all time though. Similarly, I think the first Zelda game would have been a tedious [censored] grind but for the widespread knowledge of how to do everything in that game anyway, but most of the rest of the games are awesome.

(EDIT: Also, as a 11 year old or whatever, I found Life Force >> Contra.)

(EDIT: Just thought of two more games that I remembered finding distinctive and enjoying: The Immortal and Legacy of the Wizard.)
Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM

Super Mario 3
Contra
Gradius
Zelda
Super Techmo Bowl

If you want to relive some of the classics, here ya go
Old 11-15-2007, 05:05 PM

I could never beat the final guy on bubble bobble. I'd get him in a bubble, pop him, and then he'd just go super fast and id put him in a bubble pop him, repeat over and over, the guy never died.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How come no one has posted Gauntlet yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I did. In fact, someone quoted me mentioning it.

[ QUOTE ]
My 2nd choice, and i don't think its been picked yet (Some people just listed the series) is easily the best of its series...

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh, I thought it was too easy. It was really well-balanced and fun, though. I never really played much of any of them after 3.
[ QUOTE ]
The premise of this game just boggles my mind looking back on it. What the hell were my parents thinking buying this for me?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea, haha. I remember being really fascinated with the premise as a kid, and then when I finally got to play the game (like, in college), the controls were screwy (oh, so I have to TAP up to jump, otherwise i just walk up! Awesome! I'm sure that won't cause any problems!) and it wasn't nearly as fun as I'd hoped.

[ QUOTE ]
That's because nath mentioned every single title ever made for the NES in his posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

There were over 800 released in the U.S. I just picked the couple dozen or so that I spent an inordinate amount of my life on.

[ QUOTE ]
how did i forget bionic commando? and why did people think this game was super hard? i must've had a cheat guide to it - it wasn't that difficult for me. maybe if you are a super nerd like me and spent a half hour on the first level killing paratroopers for more life blocks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, I did the same thing. I'm surprised you didn't notice the Nazi references before-- the last boss is very clearly Hitler. BTW, I'm pretty sure you can download a ROM version that's been hacked to change all the imagery and dialogue to re-insert the Nazi references.

[ QUOTE ]
Guys there's an entire forum for this on the left. Video Games under Other Topics.

Maniac Mansion

What rocks so hard about just listing off all the NES games you used to play, especially when the thread is "favorite" and not "favorites"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, go be a killjoy somewhere else.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure that's the game? I don't rememebr the cold and hot streaks. That was....RBI 2??

[/ QUOTE ]

They never actually mentioned hot or cold streaks. It just happened. Mostly when you simmed a lot of games. Like I could start a season and sim the first half and certain players would always have a bad first half and certain ones would always have a great first half etc etc.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM

Gumpzilla-- I like the way you think about NES games.

I too liked Legacy of the Wizard, and I played Immortal but never really got into it (although it's definitely unique and seems like it could be lots of fun-- I just remember not being able to figure out how to beat anything).
Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol that was definitely deserved, oh well

[/ QUOTE ]
This really needs to be slowed down for the full effect imo
Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are slipping. Unless I missed it no one has mentioned...

The premise of this game just boggles my mind looking back on it. What the hell were my parents thinking buying this for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG how could I have forgotten about NARC? I wasted 6 months of my life playing that game.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: FAVORITE CLASSIC NINTENDO GAME

[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo Super Bowl is my favorite. I recently started playing it online and its taken it to another level of greatness.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad news for me. I will be playing this all the time. Can you still pull the nose-tackle slide?