Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Smallpox Scare on Flight

My company travels extensively for work and I had a lady that I work with call me and tell me that her flight was quarantined due to some jackhole saying that he had smallpox. The real irony of that situation was that it was this lady's last day and she grabbed an earlier flight (kicking off early on her last day). Not included in these reports was that this guy was an Admiral in the Navy.

(CBS/AP) Authorities quarantined an arriving US Airways flight for several hours Friday at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport after a passenger claimed he had smallpox, an airline spokesman said.

Health officials quarantined the Airbus A319 carrying 112 passengers and four crew members coming in from New Orleans, US Airways spokesman Morgan Durrant said.

Durrant said he could not confirm a TV report that the passenger was intoxicated.

Scott White, a spokesman at Carolinas Medical Center, said the man does not have the disease, which was eradicated in 1980.

"There's no evidence of smallpox," said Rick Christenbury, spokesman for Mecklenburg County Health Department.

One passenger told CBS affiliate WBTV correspondent Tom Roussey that an announcement on board the plane said, "'Sit down, there's an emergency security threat.' And I fly all the time, that's the first time I heard that, so it was pretty scary."

Passengers said communication was not very good but the flight crew kept passengers calm, though the extended delay caused many to miss connecting flights.

The plane landed around 3:30 p.m. and was cleared around 7 p.m., when officials confirmed the threat was false.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police spokeswoman Julie Hill said no decision had been made on whether to charge the man, whose condition was still being evaluated Friday night. She said the matter may be up to federal authorities.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Smallpox Scare on Flight

[ QUOTE ]

(CBS/AP) Authorities quarantined an arriving US Airways flight for several hours Friday at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport after a passenger claimed he had smallpox, an airline spokesman said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey cool. My kids just flew out of Char-Doug via US Air today. Wonder if they were involved in this at all.