Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Buried: When to get up?

Lately I've been getting buried in my local loose-passive-donkish live 20 game, which means 20BB downswings in a sessions from, already a few times this month. The worse part is, it happens fairly early on, like losing a few big pots in the beginning of the session (sick bottom pair->two pair suckouts, everyone limps so you can see a flush draw flop cheap from blind but miss, etc).

I know there has been discussion/advice regarding leaving when losing and staying when winning/playing well, but I was hoping to hear everyone's philosophies/rules on this for themselves.

So basically, when do you decide to quit a good game when you're down early, but know you're probably +EV? For the sake of argument, let's say you're not tilting. Do you stay past a 20BB downswing? 30BB? 40BB? Or do you not even quit until the downswing is over or you are too tired to play?

And what about you internets grinders? How do you guys determine when to quit while you are multitabling but get stuck a good amount early?

Or is this question too individual player-dependent to answer?

I guess this question definitely stems from the frustration of my recent downswing.

Edit: Sorry in advance if in the wrong forum.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Buried: When to get up?

A "downswing" is over several (tens of) thousands of hands. A single night is a "losing session". You are referring to the latter. If you can't handle a 20BB loss, either financially or emotionally, you aren't ready for that level.

This weekend I went on a 45-50BB loss at a crazy 20/40 game. I went from being +$800 to -$1100 on the weekend from 7pm-1am. I played until 9am because the game was still +EV and ended up finishing up a few hundred.

Leave a game when it becomes -EV or you have something else better to do with your time. Learn to become tiltless.

There's literally a billion topics on this issue in this forum alone. Search plz.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:38 PM

Seriously, if you are stressing about a 20BB 'downswing', then quit poker.

Do you expect to win every hand you play?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:48 PM

OK I don't mean 20BB downswing, I mean losing 20BB like early in a session.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:20 PM

I play in laggy insane games and swings of 50BB are not unusual. 20BB? Bah.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:42 PM

Yeah, 20 BB is less than a buy-in. That's not a reason to get up unless you're prone to incredible tilt. Just take a 10 minute break, reload, and win. This should especially be the case in a loose-passive game, as REALLY big swings should be unusual.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:17 PM

Like everyone else said....20BB is nothing. Really. Even in a short period of time. As others said, if this stresses you, you should quit poker all together. Or at least drop down in limits.

About a year ago, I got in an argument at a table that I shouldn't have. A B&M noob was trying to tell me that if I lose 50+ BB in a session that I must play a really insanely wild style. I was trying to explain to him that sometimes things just don't go your way. And that you will lose because poker is poker. And the bad beats can last all night(or much longer). He would hear none of it.

He was very wrong...and I suspect you think like that guy. Well you are wrong as well.

That said, assuming you are properly prepared for the limits you are playing, you should quit for the session when you no longer play your best game.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 PM

If you don't play as well when you sit down and lose 4 consecutive bad beats in a row, get up and play again tomorrow. I don't play as well when I make critical errors or take bad beat after bad beat. I use a stop-loss because I play better when I'm winning and worse when I'm losing.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:15 PM

You might not even be a winner in the game! The drop rate in a live 3/6 game can be pretty sick and I've played in games at those stakes where people actually try to play well.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might not even be a winner in the game! The drop rate in a live 3/6 game can be pretty sick and I've played in games at those stakes where people actually try to play well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be, but this is a 20/40 game.