Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-27-2007, 06:07 AM

Default Re: 40/80 QQ hand

[ QUOTE ]
Strange 40 game with some really loose-passives, some super weak-tights, and a couple spazzy LAGs. Not sure what my image is because the only hand I've shown down is KK after 3-betting a big field PF and betting the whole way to take the pot. I've lost a few hands at showdown that I mucked face down.

I open QQ in the CO. Both blinds call. BB is fairly weak-tight, and SB is somewhat loose preflop and fairly aggressive although not when you'd expect. I wish I could state an eloquent read on him but at this point in the session (90 minutes?) I just hadn't played enough hands to figure him out. 40s, middle easternish, ball cap, probably has a lot of experience.

Flop comes K33. Checked to me, I bet, SB calls, BB folds.
Turn 9. SB donks, and I... ?

Also, are we always betting this flop? What are the merits of checking behind here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the best line is to call the turn and probably fold the river if a club comes.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call down always and forever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 AM

If this guy is experienced, and aggro he is going to realize that this board is highly contestable vs your likely holdings. He isn't wrong. It just so happens that you have one of the better hands in your range.

If you think he is likely to bluff the river, then you should just call. I don't worry too much about giving 3 outers a free card in smallish pots.

If you had a slightly different read an argument might be made for folding certain rivers, like an ace, J, or T, because those cards would appear to improve your turn calling range and thus give him a bad price on a bluff.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 AM

If the turn brought a flush draw raising the turn would be the best move.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Strange 40 game with some really loose-passives, some super weak-tights, and a couple spazzy LAGs. Not sure what my image is because the only hand I've shown down is KK after 3-betting a big field PF and betting the whole way to take the pot. I've lost a few hands at showdown that I mucked face down.

I open QQ in the CO. Both blinds call. BB is fairly weak-tight, and SB is somewhat loose preflop and fairly aggressive although not when you'd expect. I wish I could state an eloquent read on him but at this point in the session (90 minutes?) I just hadn't played enough hands to figure him out. 40s, middle easternish, ball cap, probably has a lot of experience.

Flop comes K33. Checked to me, I bet, SB calls, BB folds.
Turn 9. SB donks, and I... ?

Also, are we always betting this flop? What are the merits of checking behind here?

[/ QUOTE ]

The merits are simple. Nobody is folding if they have a king or a 3. But if you check you may induce bluffs, or induce bets out of lesser paired hands and draws.

That's not to say that it is better than betting, just that it has merits. Betting gets rid of weak draws that might beat you when you have the best hand, or makes them pay to try.