Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 AM

Default (stud8) what hands do you defend against steals with?

If the guy appears to have a high only hand and you think you have it beat, then no problem.

If the value of his hand is ambiguous (showing 8 or lower, could be that pair, pair of lower value, 3 low cards, or absolute crap) what do you want to defend with, if anything? Do you usually throw away pairs here with no real low possibility?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: (stud8) what hands do you defend against steals with?

The answer to your question will be very dependent on the ante and bring-in structure, as well as the stats you are using to ID the steal.

Are we assuming it will be heads up?
Old 11-19-2007, 01:45 AM

Ah, good point.

I play on pokerstars and full tilt.

Pokerstars is .1sb ante with .5sb bringin. I'm getting terrific odds to call. There is .8sb in antes, .5sb BI, 1sb bet for a total of 2.3sb .5sb so I'm getting 4.6:1 to call

Full tilt is .2sb ante with a varying bringing, but usually around .25sb. So there is 1.6sb + .25sb + 1sb bet = 2.85 and I have to call .75 so that's 3.8:1 to call

Yeah, it'll be heads up - I'm referring to times when someone bets in last to act or 2nd to last to act into a pretty meh up card like 8-J, and I'm last to act in the bringin.

This is an auto-bet situation for a lot of people, I do try to note people who never steal but since I play low stakes it doesn't come up thaaat much. If the person is an auto better then obviously the chance it's a steal is 100-vpip. Either it's a high chance, or they play so much crap that I'll want to call pretty widely.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:52 AM

i will pretty much call any late position steal with a razz had that is not 872 or similair, small pair small kicker, big pair in the hole, 3 flush if live with 2 babies.

alot of players with play hands like AQ2, which really isn't that bad a play against a steal ev wise its just hard to play. I will usually toss it in the muck.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:01 AM

I don't see the point of calling with a razz hand unless it has reasonable straight or flush possibility. I would include one-gappers as reasonable, and 2 flushes as reasonable. Otherwise you're drawing to a chop or will have to fold 4th/5th a lot. People do seem to always call me with 3 low cards. I think I'd rather have any pair or some other high hand only than 3 low cards. I don't have any reasoning to back that up, it justs seems better to me. I've been throwing away small pairs in this spot a lot though.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 AM

Depends on his range which should be a function of pot size.

In the extreme case of a heads up match with standard antes I defend only with legit hands, going as far as throwing away some small split pairs with big kickers.

In a full game with a large ante I am undecided but in addition to the above hands I think you should add in some hands like K62 or AK2.

Also in the latter situation I would consider reraising any razz hand or better.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:47 AM

Small pair - baby -> AAbaby is my prefered, or 2 out of 3 cards under their door card. If its an ace.. its a tough call, since they can show strength with a good board.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:02 AM

hmm..i guess i mean razz hands without an eight, so 237 being the worst hand. They are much easier to play any other hand your gonna protect your bi with
Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 AM

hey if he can have anything then you should play with hands that can beat that. unless of course you only feel you can win by making the best hand.
since there is no real positonal advantage you are both on the same field.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:19 PM

If villain has a low door card and catches low on 4th street, it's going to be hard not to get outplayed if I have a big door card, so if I have something like JJ7, I would rather it be (JJ)7 than (J7)J.

Premium hands for me are high low cards 877, 876 etc., pairs with low door cards, and hand with an A or 8 in the door, and all the good Stud8 hands.

Frankly, a lot depends on my history with villain, and my perceived ability to make some money off of him. I don't believe in "defending" in poker (except in some late tourney situations), but I do believe in money-making opportunities. If I think villain is stealing, and I don't have much of a hand, I fold to re-enforce his behavior and get the money when I hold something.