Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 10-06-2007, 08:57 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default I am seriously reconsidering my recent D& B book preorder.

[ QUOTE ]
To professionalpoker - we printed in UK as we got a better deal in terms of price and credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translated to my current perception

"We saved money so who cares if it takes months for our US customers to receive their books."
Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: I am seriously reconsidering my recent D& B book preorder.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To professionalpoker - we printed in UK as we got a better deal in terms of price and credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

"We saved money so who cares if it takes months for our US customers to receive their books."

[/ QUOTE ]
Now you know how the rest of the world feels.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the world.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 AM

Hi Boat:

I'm not a big fan of D&B either, but I do have a lot of experience with printing and what you are saying just isn't accurate. In this field, if a book is successful, the profit margin can be such that delaying a relese date to save a little money on printing doesn't make any sense.

This is especially true given that poker is the sort of thing where people drop out and new players enter all the time. That means lost translates to some sales which you do not recover.

I'm sure that D&B understands all of this and are just as unhappy about the delays as you are.

By the way, another publisher that we compete with is constantly late on their books, but in their case it makes sense if this reduces their printing costs since most of what they put out doesn't sell much anyway. (Their situation is actually more complex than this but time stops me from a further explanation.)

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 10-06-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So a Brit publishing company uses a Brit printing company, without regard to the perceptions or wishes of potential American readers? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

What a bunch of self-centered wankers, making their own business decisions. They need to know that American convenience is much more important than some UK publisher being profitable. Don't they know that poker is an American game? Where do they get off writing poker books? You don't see 2+2 publishing books about cricket, do you? Bloody upstarts.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So a Brit publishing company uses a Brit printing company, without regard to the perceptions or wishes of potential American readers? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

What a bunch of self-centered wankers, making their own business decisions. They need to know that American convenience is much more important than some UK publisher being profitable. Don't they know that poker is an American game? Where do they get off writing poker books? You don't see 2+2 publishing books about cricket, do you? Bloody upstarts.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO -

On top of that an American poker Author using a Brit publisher! Talk about upsetting the balance of trade!
Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Boat:

I'm not a big fan of D&B either, but I do have a lot of experience with printing and what you are saying just isn't accurate. In this field, if a book is successful, the profit margin can be such that delaying a relese date to save a little money on printing doesn't make any sense.

This is especially true given that poker is the sort of thing where people drop out and new players enter all the time. That means lost translates to some sales which you do not recover.

I'm sure that D&B understands all of this and are just as unhappy about the delays as you are.

By the way, another publisher that we compete with is constantly late on their books, but in their case it makes sense if this reduces their printing costs since most of what they put out doesn't sell much anyway. (Their situation is actually more complex than this but time stops me from a further explanation.)

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

The quote in my OP is their own words from the thread regarding their short handed book. I didn't edit it in any manner. I merely translated it to reflect my perception and how I feel at the moment.

PS. Thanks for all the love from other posters but I haven't eaten a cheeseburger in eight weeks.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So a Brit publishing company uses a Brit printing company, without regard to the perceptions or wishes of potential American readers?

What a bunch of self-centered wankers, making their own business decisions. They need to know that American convenience is much more important than some UK publisher being profitable. Don't they know that poker is an American game? Where do they get off writing poker books? You don't see 2+2 publishing books about cricket, do you? Bloody upstarts

[/ QUOTE ]

It strikes me as very British to ignore the wishes 90% of your market base.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I merely translated it to reflect my perception and how I feel at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should translate it to reflect the realities of international commerce, which, unfortunately, do not make allowances for your perceptions or feelings.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should translate it to reflect the realities of international commerce, which, unfortunately, do not make allowances for your perceptions or feelings.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, ignore your customer base's perceptions and feelings at your own risk. It dosen't matter where the commerce originates, if you customer's perception is, you suck and don't care how long it takes for the product to arrive, how many damn books do you think you will sell?