Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Reworking my aggression level. NL200 JTs in reraised pot (bVb) + bluff

I think my game has suffered severely during the last weeks. I seem to run at something like 15/11/1 , being incredibly passive cause every single pot seemed a "Wa/Wb situation". I ve only been aggressive with monsters and on complete idiotic bluffs not thinking about what they could have and how they could ever lay it down.

Now I just watched a stoxtrader vid and recalled what shorthanded NL poker is about. Yet Im not sure whether I implemented it correctly in this hand:

No history w/ villain, just sat down and hadnt done anything crazy.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $200
UTG+1: $219.45
CO: $164.05
Button: $263.05
SB: $198.10
hero: $200

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $20</font>, SB calls.

<font color="blue"> weakish looking attempt to steal. I have a strong hand and position. I also want the initiative (lol @ stox-talk) </font>

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($40, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">hero bets $29</font>, SB calls.

<font color="blue"> flop misses me terribly. Still the ace might good to convince him that he should get out. I cbet as he checks to me </font>

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($98, 3 players)
SB checks, hero checks.

<font color="blue"> His call crushes all my hopes and Im done with this hand... I check behind</font>

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($98, 3 players)
SB checks,

<font color="blue"> Wait a second... you check it to me on that board? No draws have arrived and if you did have an ace you surely wanna bet it, dont you? AAAaAaaand... if you dont have an ace my pair of Kings are definitely good, right? </font>

<font color="#cc0000">hero bets $48</font>

Believable story?

comments on pf play vs. unknowns as well as the riverbluff welcome.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Reworking my aggression level. NL200 JTs in reraised pot (bVb) + b

could sb move it to SSNL pls? sorry about this
Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 AM

Pre-Flop: I strongly prefer not making this play without reads. A call allows you to use your position to play a very playable hand. If SB has been raising you lots in this spot (ie. you have a read) than this reraise is fine.

Flop: Fine, although realize that if he has a weak ace he's not folding to one bet. This bet is hoping that better hands fold. (Like higher broadways, small/mid PP's etc.)

Turn: Well, he's called the PF 3bet and the C-Bet with an A on board. I like a check here for sure. There's a chance he might fold a weaker A to a 2nd barrel, but it's gonna cost you $$$$$ to find out.

River: A read would help SOOOO much here. I don't know how much I like it, but I know it's the only way to save this hand, may as well give it a shot. He might fold his 88 here or whatever. (I think a low/mid PP is a decent part of his range)
Old 02-02-2007, 12:12 AM

Well either he missed his draw and will fold.. or he's got something like AT and is worried about his kicker. Look at it from his point of view.. if you were raising to get a free card for your flush draw, fine you got it, and you missed, so he gave you a chance to bluff the river?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:22 AM

Yeah, but the FD represents only a tiny range of my possible holdings. If he had an ace HE would be the one losing tons of value by NOT betting this turn vs my midpair/KQ/JJ or whatever.

He certainly cant expect me to bet the river with the line we both have taken so far.

Besides, its a standardline with TPGK kinda hands.

edit: AND besides I wasnt raising for a free card at all. I rarely raise pf to get a freecard for my flush [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]