Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-28-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Playing Baby Straight-Flush Starters Too Aggro on Early Streets?

Hand 1: I like third street. The A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is a key card for you, obviously, but that's the only really important card that's out. Meanwhile, a few of the cards you would hate to see on fourth are gone. This is a fine time to gamble. I was going to say that the bet on sixth was a bit aggressive, but I'm not coming up with a good reason not to bet. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hand 2: I wouldn't have come over the top on third. That's a bit aggressive. It's three-way, and both of your opponents likely have real hands as well.

Hand 3 looks good.

Hand 4: I'm not really seeing the value in the river bet. Better to check and hope for a bluff, I think.

Hand 5 looks good. I'd be happy enough taking it down on fourth. I wasn't really looking to pair my Six.

Hand 6: I don't like the raise on third. Too many of your cards are dead. Jamming on fourth strikes me as borderline insane. You're open-ended. Whoop-de-doo. Two Tens and a Five are gone. Four clubs are gone, and they happen to be your four straight flush cards. I'm not too excited about your low possibility. You could almost fold this dog, especially if you had kept the pot smaller on third. I also don't like the bet on fifth. Really, the only play I like is the fold on the end.

Based on these hands, I don't think you're being overly aggressive with these hands. The last hand was pretty spewy, but we all get carried away sometimes.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Playing Baby Straight-Flush Starters Too Aggro on Early Streets?

[ QUOTE ]
A number of years ago, Andrew Prock or someone like that did a ranking of all possible hands based on how they fared equity-wise against six random hands. I wasn't able to find it after a half-hearted Google search. AAA was best and I think something like Q93r was worst. It seems to me that there was a sizable gap between 999, the worst roll-up, and then best three-card straight-flush (I forget whether it was 654 or 543).

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Prock had 999 at #13 (0.384 vs. 6 opponents), and 345s, the best 3cSF, at #20 (0.324 vs. 6 opponents).

#1, AAA at .484
#2, Q93r at .065