Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Do you think poker is a game involving skill?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

darko,

FWIW, a number of Thai places don't even have fried rice on the menu, and as I said earlier, it's not a very common Thai restaurant order (this applies to SF, Houston, NYC).

Maybe you were confusing Thai with Chinese?

Also, I got the impression you were saying "Fried Rice is on the menu at Thai places because whitey wants that instead of other Thai entrees."

Note that you said fried rice "is what kids get b/c they think Asian food is gross and it is the only thing they will eat."

Overall, I gotta go w/ MC Chris on this one.

BTW, this from BeerMoney, who I think lives in Thailand: "Fried rice is very much a stand alone meal in Thailand."

And from KKF: "So, fried rice (which I will define as white rice fried in a pan with oil and seasoning and a small amount of meat) is considered a stand alone meal."

So, to your two points:

1: Fried rice is not legit Thai dish: Apparently false
2: Fried rice is a very common order at Thai restaurants in US: From my experience in SF, Houston, NYC, false.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 PM

cool glad i'm not crazy. now watch 100 people will magically appear and agree with me. thanks el diablo!
Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM

Darko and others,

Now I'm hungry for Thai. Here are menus from four popular SF places. This imo gives a decent overview of the significance of fried rice in Thai restaurants in SF, definitely not nearly as important a category as in Chinese places.

http://www.manorathai.com/menu.html - 1 entry "Thai style fried rice with prawns, calamari and crab meat in egg and tomato, garlic sauce"

http://www.kohsamuiandthemonkey.com/dinner_menu.htm - no fried rice

http://www.marneethaisf.com/dinner.html - 1 entry "THAI STYLE FRIED RICE ............... 8.50..............with crabmeat, prawn with pineapple or roasted duck 9.50
Thai style fried rice with egg, tomatoes and onion. Choice of sliced chicken, beef, roasted pork or chicken sausage. "

http://www.oshathai.com/2/dinner.html - Huge fried rice section
Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 PM

I can only use chopsticks as drumsticks.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:09 PM

El D,

First, I know the difference between between Chinese and Thai food.

Anyway, I had already agreed with you at this point:

[ QUOTE ]
El D didn't disagree, the only thing that was disagreed w/ was when I said that this part of the menu was ordered more often than the Thai dishes (Curry, Basil etc.) which if El D is willing to "wager big money" then I would be willing to believe that I am wrong on that comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I don't know why you are bringing this up again, I said I was wrong?

Banana Leaf- popular but not as good as the next two.

Samui Thai-yum.

Chow Thai Pacific Rim-the best of the three links, the only link I could find.

A couple of the other best places in Dallas I couldn't find menu's for such as Thai Thai (good food but even more popular hang out), River Spice (Dallas Observer Best Thai 03'--has fried rice, ate there about 5 days ago and remember this) and Royal Thai (only been there once but good). I just listed probably the top 6 Thai places in Dallas and I know that they all have a portion of the menu dedicated to fried rice dishes.

I eat Thai a lot, I have lived in New Haven for the last few years (for about 5 months at a time) and downtown is filled w/ Thai restaurants (some great ones too--Bangkok Gardens ftw!) and I have only ever seen maybe a couple of menu's that didn't have traditional as well as some options of fried rice on the menu--some to the extent of oshathai.com's menu and some not so much but at least available.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I got the impression you were saying "Fried Rice is on the menu at Thai places because whitey wants that instead of other Thai entrees."

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is there quotes here? I am sorry you got the wrong impression just as Chris did (Noah didn't apparently) but you can't just assume "whitey" b/c I said "many people"--I would have to guess that is where you are getting this "impression" and if this is the case "many people" should be assumed as the opposite of a sole gender until confirmed otherwise. I still see fried rice on Thai menu's a lot though, you can link me to menu's that don't have it and that is fine but I can link you all day to menus that do--doesn't prove anything.

I know I was wrong about my comment about fried rice being consumed more than the rest of the menu...I realized it once you made your post and I also realized it b/c when I said "demographic" I am talking about age more than anything. Do you disagree that fried rice is primarily ordered by younger customers?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not trolling man, can you just answer this?

when you said:

[ QUOTE ]
Thai food is meat based not rice based fwiw, rice dishes are only there b/c many people don't eat traditional Thai.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you mean to imply that rice dishes != traditional thai?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 PM

darko,

"I still see fried rice on Thai menu's a lot though, you can link me to menu's that don't have it and that is fine but I can link you all day to menus that do--doesn't prove anything."

Since I linked to 3 of 4 menus that had fried rice on the menu, I'm obviously not arguing against your point. We both agree that fried rice is on lots of thai menus, but is not ordered more than other entrees.

OK, enough on that point, we agree.

OK, so the next point is why when you said "rice dishes are only there b/c many people don't eat traditional Thai." I assumed you were talking about whitey eating fried rice.

This thread is about how white people are treated at Asian places in America, so it's obvious why "many people" in that context was interpreted as "white people" or more generally "Americans." Unless you were talking about Asians, then "many people" in there refers to white people, who else?

You said that "Actual Thai dishes are less popular than what is actually ordered, the red and green curry dishes and the dishes heavy in coconut milk aren't ordered nearly as often as rice dishes"

I know you've retracted ("I know I was wrong about my comment about fried rice being consumed more than the rest of the menu.") that statement now, but when you made it you weren't talking about just young people, otherwise the initial statement wouldn't have made sense.

So, anyway, that's the answer as to why I and others got that impression from your posts. You seemed to be making two separate points:

1) Kids at American Thai restaurants eat fried rice more than other Thai food
2) Patrons of American Thai restaurants eat fried rice more than other Thai food

That's why I got the impression I did. How could it make sense to say that "fried rice being consumed more than the rest of the menu" in American restaurants if you're talking just about kids? No, of course you must have been talking about whitey in general!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:37 PM

El D,

Just got back from work.

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is about how white people are treated at Asian places in America, so it's obvious why "many people" in that context was interpreted as "white people" or more generally "Americans." Unless you were talking about Asians, then "many people" in there refers to white people, who else?

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point I wasn't even thinking about the thread topic anymore, the thread had been hi-jacked so badly that "white people" being in the title never even crossed my mind.

The rest of your post basically goes on to talk about my one comment about "patrons of American Thai restaurants eat fried rice more than other Thai food" which once I realized what I had said was wrong and didn't make sense I retracted--you know that I retracted yet you keep bringing it up. I am not understanding why. Just forget about the "how much consumed" part of the menu--most of this thread and this goofy last page in my mind has been about me trying to get across that fried rice is on the menu to target a certain demographic--this demographic is an age not a gender. Is that wrong? I don't believe it is.

Also, on the road today I talked to a close friend who for the last 3 years--every offseason (professional baseball player) he lives in Thailand and teaches English as a second language. I asked him about this:

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, this from BeerMoney, who I think lives in Thailand: "Fried rice is very much a stand alone meal in Thailand."

And from KKF: "So, fried rice (which I will define as white rice fried in a pan with oil and seasoning and a small amount of meat) is considered a stand alone meal."

[/ QUOTE ]

He said fried rice is hardly ever if ever eaten as a stand alone dish unless you are the poorest of the poor and for some background he said his province's avg annual income in American money was 1K so not a wealthy community--and even in his province it was rare. He said in Thailand eating is a BIG deal, tons of plates on the table and everyone eats off of each dish. He said fried rice is a side dish that goes w/ the meat. He said his 3 years in 3 different areas have all had the same experience as far as food, he also said what KKF was saying earlier in this thread that the food is much much different.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most of this thread and this goofy last page in my mind has been about me trying to get across that fried rice is on the menu to target a certain demographic--this demographic is an age not a gender. Is that wrong? I don't believe it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course it is wrong and there is much proof! you will never give it up though, simply because your siblings ordered it when you went out to chinese restaurants, until they were 14 that is, when they becames "brave enough" to try other dishes.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:47 PM

Chris,

El D's post time- 04:47 PM
My response time- 10:37 PM
Your response time to my post-10:39 PM

Wow, get away from the computer and maybe you won't be so wound up--what are you just waiting for that thread to be bumped so you can troll a post not directed at you?

Haha, you sir are a weird guy.