Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Latest gay marriage flareup

CNN

A judge in Iowa declared the state's ban on gay marriage unconsitutional. He stayed it later that day, but not before a dozen couples tied the knot. The initial indications are that those dozen marriages will remain valid.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Latest gay marriage flareup

[ QUOTE ]
The initial indications are that those dozen marriages will remain valid.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so threatening to the sanctity of my heterosexual marriage that my wife and I are now considering getting a divorce.

At least Iowa stopped it before even more couples could get married, lest we see the complete disintegration of Western society.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:41 PM

I don't see any reason why someone would have objections to a gay couple getting married. However, I do think the church should announce that it will NEVER allow gay marriages in the church. Homosexuality is clearly denounced in the Bible e.g. "Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death." (this is not open to intepretation IMO). I really think people should be true to themselves and not kid themselves that their almost 2000 year old man-made philosophy is accepting of gay relationships.

Banning gay marriage is unconstitional. Allowing gay marrigaes in churches is unChristian. Both should be treated accordingly.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:44 PM

i was considering getting married later in my life, but now marriage as a a whole is ruined and i'll never consider it. It's no longer pure or special, so i'm just never getting married now. Thanks Iowa, you ruined everyone else's marriages, and soon the entire world will be a giant sin-city.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:47 PM

Deleted

[ QUOTE ]
Banning gay marriage is unconstitional

[/ QUOTE ]
Should Iron be allowed to marry his mother or sister? How about his dog? Why can't corporations marry, they're legal entities?

Whether the term marriage can even apply to a man and a man is open for debate IMO.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:55 PM

Are we allowed to call homosexuality a "perversion" here? I don't think people who hold opposite beliefs to myself (or society in general) should be censored but perhaps a little self-censorship could go a long way there Phil.

If 2 humans love each other I have no objection to them becoming married (does it affect us?). Why is it a perversion?
Old 08-31-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whether the term marriage can even apply to a man and a man is open for debate IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

"the legal or religious union of two people," Canadian Oxford Dictionary
Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should Iron be allowed to marry his mother or sister?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and yes.

[ QUOTE ]
How about his dog?

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals can't consent to marriage and are not given the same rights under the law as humans. If dogs start paying taxes, collecting Soc Sec income, and using public schools equally, then yes, let them marry then too.

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't corporations marry, they're legal entities?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, because corporations aren't people so the term has no real meaning when applied to them. But since you bring up corporations... they are evidence that the law has no problem recognizing voluntary partnerships as legal entities, so why not two men?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:02 PM

I don't know what's allowed here, I'm usually debate this stuff in SMP. But I don't think you can have a proper debate without putting your cards on the table, and what I said is at the core of the debate IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
If 2 humans love each other I have no objection to them becoming married (does it affect us?). Why is it a peversion?

[/ QUOTE ]
If society was composed entirely of consenting adults, then it would be a different matter. But there are many who believe that society shouldn't recognize abnormal acts as valid.

Let me ask you if the following are perversions:

- Engaging in a voluntary transaction for sex
- Engaging in voluntary sex with a 15yo
- Engaging in voluntary sex with an animal

Most people are ok with discouraging these activities, on the basis that they are perversions that cause direct and indirect social harm (even though they're only done between two consenting parties). Why is homosexuality different?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:02 PM

Pretty much a done deal in Iowa unless they change the state and/or federal constitution.