Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 07:47 AM

Default What\'s a n00b supposed to do ?

Heya folks,

if this is the wrong forum - Sorry - didn't know where to put it in.

So I'm new to poker. I started to play "seriously" about two months ago. I used to play chess and I was quite good at it but got bored. With poker I think I've found my new game and challenge.

So far I've decided never to put any of my money into the game but I've turned the 5$ "Hello"-shipping from Stars into something like 50$ starting at .02/.04 and then mostly .05/.10 and .10/.20, all FR.

I read and reread my Miller, Hilger, Sklansky, Jones whatever, I've got PTracker and I'm reading the posts here.

Now I'm wondering which is the best way to proceed. Shall I continue to play FR-FL or should I take NL and 6max right
along ? Basically it boils down to this: would the different games broaden my scope on poker in general or do you think I'd only get the varying concepts mixed up ?

I'd really appreciate your feedback.

TIA
Old 08-22-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Re: What\'s a n00b supposed to do ?

I would advise you keep playing where you are until you get a healthy sized sample and can show a reasonable win rate. At that point, learning 6max or nl will probably increase your profit. There's just no good reason I can think of to do that until you are sure that your current game is solid. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 AM

Well, I've got a sample size of about 8k (yar, I know) hands, winrates .05/.10 and .10/.20 ~5-6BB/100 and as far as the stats go I think I'm a decent player for these limits.

What sample size would you recommend ?

*If* I take NL and 6max, I'd start with .01/.02 NL and .05/.10 6max.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 AM

I think that the different games would broaden your hold'em understanding.

However, if you are not planning on boosting your bankroll from personal funds, I would stick to FR limit for the time being.

You have done very well to turn $5 into $50, but may find that amount insufficient to withstand the increased variance in 6-max or risk of going bust in NL.

If you have the ability and inclination to reload if you ran poor, I think it would make the experiment easier.

I suspect that you have the poker ability, but may just need a larger bankroll to help cushion possible downswings.

Of course, the decision is yours. Well done so far and good luck in whatever you decide to do. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*If* I take NL and 6max, I'd start with .01/.02 NL and .05/.10 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didnt realise that you could play NL so low !

I must admit that you would have the BR for those limits. I originally assumed that you would be playing higher.

So, in that case, I dont see any harm in your trying the games out. Please be careful, and go back to FR if necessary. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if you are not planning on boosting your bankroll from personal funds, I would stick to FR limit for the time being.

..., but may find that amount insufficient to withstand the increased variance in 6-max or risk of going bust in NL.

If you have the ability and inclination to reload if you ran poor, I think it would make the experiment easier.

I suspect that you have the poker ability, but may just need a larger bankroll to help cushion possible downswings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sort of aware of variance. But what BR do you think one needs for NL .01/.02 given that I won't all-in with bottom pair ?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:21 AM

Ok, you were faster [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

..., but may find that amount insufficient to withstand the increased variance in 6-max or risk of going bust in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sort of aware of variance. But what BR do you think one needs for NL .01/.02 given that I won't all-in with bottom pair ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually 20 buy ins is fine for NL, so you should be rolled okay for .01/.02.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 AM

@ OP

You have more than enough for 0.05/0.1 6max.

Follow a strict BRM and move up when you have 500BB.

If you have read and understood those books you should have no problem with 6 max 0.05/0.10.

Waiting and playing where you are till you have a "big enough" sample size to conclude you are winning is too conservative IMO.

If Limit hold em is your game 6max is the only way you are gonna play mid to high stakes. Full ring above 1/2 is dead online and its fairly difficult to find a lot of games.

Besides, 6max will teach you how to play poker as you are constantly in a lot more difficult spots. Playing full ring will only teach you to fold.

Finally if 6max is what you choose, and I think you should because its the best game out there, you definetely need to start reading the small stakes short handed forum. A lot of good winning small and midstakes players are posting there regularly.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:27 AM

Thanks a lot for the input so far .. now I'm bragging for some more.

Do you think it makes any difference if I choose FL-6max or NL for my next "game" ?

I've taken a couple of shots on 6max, with results so-so, though I definitely think, I can beat it with study and work put into it. In the last days I've experimented with NL-SnG's (playmoney .. yeah, laugh at me, only to get the smell of it, to look what it's like to have to place pot-ratio bets asf. I think I did quite well. Finished 1st against 27, 3rd and 8th against 45, 1st agaist 9 and got whipped early 3 or 4 times because of unfortunate coinflips).

So I'm wondering if taking on 1$ buy-in NL-SnG's could be a good idea. Risk appears to be very controllable.

So, any comments ? And TIA again.