Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 05:57 AM

Default 2nd best set - river action

No read on villian. Comments on flop and river please.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]], J[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]].
<font color="Red">UTG raises</font>, <font color="Gray">2 folds</font>, <font color="Red">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="Red">BB caps</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]], J[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]], 7[[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] <font color="Blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="Red">BB bets</font>, <font color="Red">Hero raises</font>, <font color="Red">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="Red">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 5[[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] <font color="Blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="Red">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (11 BB) Q[[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] <font color="Blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="Red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="Red">BB raises</font>, <font color="Red">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="Red">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB
Old 07-22-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Re: 2nd best set - river action

Flop is fine. Major spewage on the river.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:49 AM

I think you played it fine. He could raise river with KK, AA or AQs. At 1/2 those hands is often raised on this board. If you have a read that tell you otherwise you should just call river but against an unknown at this level I think you can dare a 3-bet.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine. He could raise river with KK, AA or AQs. At 1/2 those hands is often raised on this board. If you have a read that tell you otherwise you should just call river but against an unknown at this level I think you can dare a 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very rarely will someone play AA/KK like this, they would just jack it up earlier if they wanted to raise, and even if you are against someone who decided to wait til the river, they're less likely to raise now QQ has improved. The retard factor isn't high enough risking 2 to 1.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:10 AM

sharpie you're putting him on exactly qq?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:29 AM

It's his most likely hand. Obviously unknowns will show up with something else, but not often enough getting ~1 to 2.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:39 AM

I agree with Sharpie.

With that flop action he has QQ-AA almost always. Since AA likely pops turn and KK as well sometimes his range is heavily skewed towards QQ after the turn. Also, raising that Q river with KK or AA would be a bit weird weird.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 AM

I like just calling the river. After the turn action you figure BB for AJ in the worst case, more likely he has QQ-AA and fears hero has a set. So when villain raises the river in this spot, I have to put him on QQ and just call. I certainly don't want to have to call a cap here and waste two bets. If BB played AQ this way, then you have to make a note. Otherwise he's got QQ often enough to just call.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like just calling the river. After the turn action you figure BB for AJ in the worst case, more likely he has QQ-AA and fears hero has a set. So when villain raises the river in this spot, I have to put him on QQ and just call. I certainly don't want to have to call a cap here and waste two bets. If BB played AQ this way, then you have to make a note. Otherwise he's got QQ often enough to just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you overestimate an unknown player at 1/2. But again I don't play stars and maybe an unknown must be given some more credit there. Against decent players I also prefer a call since no decent player would raise this river without a set of queens.

BTW At a ordinary 1/2 game you must call the cap on river since there's a lot of stupid bluffing going on on river in huge pots. Never ever fold this on river at a standard 1/2 game.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:32 AM

I suppose villain could also have AdQd, or maybe QdKd, but QQ is more combos anyways so after he raises just call.