Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: How difficult is it to become a good limit player?

[ QUOTE ]

I actually think (contrary to most people, it seems) that there's not a HUGE disparity in skill between, say, the 50-100 and 200-400, although certainly I think 200-400 is generally tougher.

When you're better than everyone else, I can see how this might seem to be the case.

- Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I also think there's not a HUGE disparity in quality of basketball between major conferences and mid-majors, but I never claimed to be able to hit free throws.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, I also think there's not a HUGE disparity in quality of basketball between major conferences and mid-majors, but I never claimed to be able to hit free throws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea; the above should read "hit free throws consistently". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM

CALL DOWN every hand and you will hit .
Old 10-21-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good thread... i would be interested in knowing if any of this is qunatifiable in term of number of hands played - ie. how many LHE hands have most of the strong 100/200 and 200/400 players put in lifetime to get to where they are?

Also shouldnt there be a 6 month status report available from timex around now? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played like 1k limit hands in the last 6 months, and realized that my moves are too bold and aggressive for that game.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:18 AM

I think that skill is over-rated in all forms of poker, for me it is about finding games where you know that you are better than the others at that table. People need to take their egos out of the equation and find games that are filled with fish (if possible of course).
Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing limit and no-limit for a long time. I know and believe you should move slowly up the ladder and beat all the games in between for a year each. If you really don't want to wait at least try 150 hours per limit. Ok mid-limit players come to the 100/200 and then back down to lower limits soon enough.
I played ABC then, the light came on about knowing thier bluffing and what to do. The light will come on over and over again about different things you learn and that just will take time. That is why time is critical. Watch the good players.
I like playing heads-up and a few friends told me to play a unknown live player that wanted to play. I didn't because I didn't know him. All my friends told me he was sooo bad. It turned out he was a great player online heads-up. The point is everybody thinks he plays bad and they have not gotten to the level he is at. Great play looks bad sometimes.

Never quit learning!

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree. Watch the 100/200 Hu games vs. the 200/400 Hu games on PS.

the 200/400 games look like two guys just flinging chips at each other, when in reality their game has evolved so much through so much experience it is a lot better than the really tight 100/200 games.

I am in the same boat as you...I enjoy short handed and HU games, and would like to think I am good, especially at Omaha. My game used to be tight and I would win and lose, but overall did ok.

I started sort of seeing different ways of play, as you said so perfectly, seeing the light, and I have become a much stronger player at just about any limit below 2/4 online. If PS had a limit on Omaha 8 or better that was higher than 75/150, i would play it, but I do well there playing Hu and short handed.

"Looking bad" in poker is all in the eye of the beholder...those really top short handed players look better winning bad with 56off than you look losing good with AKs.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I actually think (contrary to most people, it seems) that there's not a HUGE disparity in skill between, say, the 50-100 and 200-400, although certainly I think 200-400 is generally tougher.

When you're better than everyone else, I can see how this might seem to be the case.

- Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a big difference. In poker understanding is 99% execution is 1. In basketball it is the other way around. Accordingly one's criticism probably makes more sense if it is about basketball players.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A good player playing 20/40 can make 15-25 dollars/hour. A great player can make 50-60/hour.

Someone told me recently "The best player at the table makes a bb/hour, the second best makes half of that, the third breaks even and everyone else loses."

[/ QUOTE ]

An expert player earns an average of one BB an hour. That has been my experience playing for over three years. This is discussed in either "Gambling Theory and Other Topics" or "Poker Essays" by Mason Malmuth. I recall his quote about this, it goes something like this "If you stack eight red chips on the table, that's what you will earn per hour if you play 20/40, stack 4 chips, that's expert play at 10/20." That has been my experience on line. I play the live games on Saturday, since I have found the worst players at the largest cardroom, playing over their head, playing too many hands, and going to far with them. I believe this is about the only way I can manipulate my earn rate to be greater. The downside to this is that the terrible players do get lucky. I will know more about this in another year, since I have only been showing up in live games for a few weeks consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I only play 20/40 and 40/80 during weekends, during weekdays u'll see the same players playing 20/40 and they're all tight and scared to put their money on the pot. I also notice that I win most of the times on weekends than weekdays, I consider myself an average player, but keeps studying to someday be an above average player.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 AM

I haven't read this whole conversation but it seems like a few things are missing from the past post. First of all you play more hands online than you do live per hour. Therefore if you have the same winrate/100 hands you will make more bb/hr online than you will live.

Secondly you play so few hands live that it will take a very very very long time to determine even approximately what your winrate is. Online it still takes a while and that is when you're playing multiple tables, faster tables, and probably more often than a typical live player. Especially if you're just playing on weekends. I would guess it would take 3 years before you would be really sure that you're a winning player solely based on your results (although I think it's sometimes easier to tell just by watching how awful people are).