Old 10-28-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on NFL in London/cross country sporting pollination

Bastard Ted ****ing Ginn scoring to beat the spread
Old 10-28-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bastard Ted ****ing Ginn scoring to beat the spread

[/ QUOTE ]

How halftime unders was 21.5 I'll never know.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:11 PM

most american men don't play football in any organized capacity past high school. it's such a rigorous and difficult game to play.

so i think it's irrelevant if people have or haven't played it.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:14 PM

It wasnt an issue was more of a comment, UFC is much better than the UK Cage Rage and MMA is definatley growing over here, can see it taking over some of the WWE market which is a decent size here.

The NBA not sure what they are wanting to do that Stern guy was on the BBC national news radio the other day think looking to bring some matches over here.

We do get a load of US sport on satellite here now moreso with Setanta increasing its share as it got some premiership games so I subscribe to them and now get college football, baseball and am watching Nascar as I type and as it fits nicely into the late night schedules there is a chance for them to get a following.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasnt an issue was more of a comment, UFC is much better than the UK Cage Rage and MMA is definatley growing over here, can see it taking over some of the WWE market which is a decent size here.

The NBA not sure what they are wanting to do that Stern guy was on the BBC national news radio the other day think looking to bring some matches over here.

We do get a load of US sport on satellite here now moreso with Setanta increasing its share as it got some premiership games so I subscribe to them and now get college football, baseball and am watching Nascar as I type and as it fits nicely into the late night schedules there is a chance for them to get a following.

[/ QUOTE ]

The huge difference to me is that NBA and NFL used to be pretty equal. NBA are fiercely protective of their TV rights while the NFL have been encouraging the spread of the game.
20 years on, nobody cares about the NBA anymore and NFL must be one of our very top 'other' sports.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The huge difference to me is that NBA and NFL used to be pretty equal. NBA are fiercely protective of their TV rights while the NFL have been encouraging the spread of the game.
20 years on, nobody cares about the NBA anymore and NFL must be one of our very top 'other' sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantasy football really helped the NFL as far as fan interest.

b
Old 10-28-2007, 05:10 PM

Not sure about the NBA all over the world but I can tell you that it's easily the most popular American sport in Peru and I'm guessing similar can be said in some other countries as well.
To the extent that GF's dad kind of assumes that the NBA is the most talked about and watched sport in the US which really isn't the case at all. It's surprising to them how far behind the NBA is to the NFL and even to NCAA-football.

They get a bunch of the NBA games on TV. GF says when she was in high-school a lot of the kids had Michael Jordan posters in their lockers, etc.

They don't know diddly about baseball or american football but they know their L.A. Lakers from their Chicago Bulls and know their Kobe Bryant's from their Lebron James' for the most part.

Even the GF can get into the games on TV or attending live because she has a pretty decent idea of what she's looking at. Pretty simple really.
Baskets are 2 or 3...get fouled and you shoot 1 point FT's.

That's the NBA's huge advantage. It's already a fairly international game and it's easy for practically anyone to understand what's happening either at a live game or watching on TV.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:41 PM

Whoops
Old 10-28-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TBH, people overrate how complex Football is.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they don't. They generally underrate the complexity. American football is extremely complicated. Coaching terminology is needlessly complex in some ways but that's about the only factor that makes it seem more rather than less complicated than it really is.

You speak like a man who doesn't know a whole lot about football, and who has certainly never played.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:51 PM

The Giants/Dolphins game was so bad I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL had lost fans overseas.