Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Default A few Commerce Hands

First trip to Commerce was quite a success, and was most interesting in that (from my limited experience), the games seemed to get BETTER as the limits got higher. Here are a few hands I thought were interesting.

1. 60-120: There's a limp in early position and a player who had only sat for a few orbits but seemed better than most and not nutty, raises in the CO. Folded to me and I 3-bet Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB, an incredibly loose, weak fish on a rush who played 7 out of 10 pots preflop on average (plus was a real d*ck), calls, and limper calls. CO caps, we all call.

Flop is a doozy: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checked to CO who bets, I c/r, fish calls two cold, limper folds, CO 3-bets. What's your plan for the rest of the hand?

2. This may be pretty simple, but I think it's a semi-interesting spot in today's day & age. First orbit at 60-120, so no real reads yet, but UTG seems pretty fishy (more in a calling station kinda way, though, he'd limped three times pre but hadn't yet raised). He raises, Russian guy in MP2 3-bets. I'm in SB with black tens. What's your usual play here?

3. 60-120: Folded to me in CO, I raise A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB (Russian guy from earlier, who has since shown himself to be too loose and prone to tilt, but not as bad as some in the game) calls. Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He leads, I raise, he calls. Turn is the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He checks. Is there any merit to checking behind here, given that he most likely mucks straight draws/gutshots and flush draws to this card but may bluff the river, putting me on AK or something, or is betting clearly best to collect now from overcards and small pairs/deuces?

GL
Old 08-14-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: A few Commerce Hands

I guess hand 1 your villain range is AA, AxKs, JJ, AQs. I'm leaning towards raising a safe turn. Anyone see an issue with that ?

Hand 2 I think a check is fine. With you holding an A it's much less likely that he can call down with A high. give him a chance to fill up or bluff.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:01 PM

Hand 1: I like a call on the flop and a turn check raise assuming it is not a spade. Villains range is heavily waited toward AA, AK and KK with the K of spades. I would call down a turn three bet.

Hand 2: Interesting spot. I am not sure what to do in similar spots. I would need a better read on the Russian.

Hand 3: I like just betting and hoping he calls with overcards to catch a pair. Then when he catches his pair and leads out or check raises the river you can raise.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:13 PM

1. I call the 3-bet and check-raise a safe turn. Cut-off's flop 3-bet is indicative of the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], either with another K or an A.

2. I'll generally throw the tens away from the small blind to a UTG raise + 3-bet.

3. There's merit to both betting and checking here. Inded, lots of players in that 60-120 game will bet almost any river here, putting you on two high cards without a flush draw once you check behind on the river. Then again, with the board all small cards, he might make a play at you on the turn if you fire again, or think he has the best hand with a pocket pair. I'd lean toward a check.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. I call the 3-bet and check-raise a safe turn. Cut-off's flop 3-bet is indicative of the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], either with another K or an A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then might he take a free card on the turn if we go for another c/r?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:51 PM

1) I'd lead flop, as played I'm gonna keep on firing

2) I fold this without reads, we're oop and we face huge rio

3) I'm gonna go ahead and bet it
Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Certainly not with A-Ks, and likely not with K-Ks.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:10 AM

First hand I would just 4 bet and lead a non spade non king non ten turn. I would like to charge the fish the maximum for his Ts or whatever, and prevent the cutoff from taking a free turn with KK with Ks (I disagree with Andy Fox that a player that fits the guy's description would bet KK with the Ks on the turn.) The fish will likely call the 2 more coming back to him, and then call when you lead a safe turn. If you elect to check raise the turn, this will probably get the fish out, but open yourself up to a 3 bet if cutoff has AA. So what I'm trying to say is by taking the line I suggested, you win the same amount if ahead but lose less if behind.

Hand 2: I usually fold until I find out more about the players. Commerce could be different though. I know that in Arizona I usually CALL this until I find out more about the players.

Hand 3: Checking seems to be pretty good here.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:41 AM

1. bet safe turn card.

2. fold.

3. check/behind
Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 AM

Some good, interesting thoughts all around.

I played hand one too cautiously. I didn't think he had AK with the Ks or KK, as most random live players don't 3-bet the KK, and I felt almost sure that the fool to my left had the Ks. However, I weighted the button's range too heavily to AA given his preflop cap, which most live players DON'T make without AA or KK from my experience. Turn and rivers were blanks, and only one bet went in on each street; I should have led or c/r'd the turn. He had JJJ, and MHIG.

Hand 2, I had just sat down and wasn't in a rhythm yet. I made the worst decision, IMO, which was cold-calling, something I almost NEVER do. I think folding is far and away the best play here without some SERIOUS reads, but capping is better than the crap I did. My dumbest decision of the entire trip.

In hand three, I bet and immediately regretted it. If there's ever a spot to take the foot off the gas, this is it. Sure, some fools will call you there, either with a deuce, ace, or just pair-fishin', but far more often, hands that they called with on the flop look worthless now. Since my hand is very disguised, I think a check is clearly best. If the proper card comes on the river, I may get two bets there, or even three if a K comes and he c/r's or something...plus, I'll at least usually get one bet. As played, he folded instantly.