Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Shortstack strategy?

When I normally play poker I like to really concentrate on my games -- no TV on, no people talking to me. Having been LANing with a couple friends in an environment with various distractions for the last few days, I came up with mindless strategy to try.
I brought up 12 2NL FR tables for a buyin of 1 dollar (my normal game right now is 10NL 6-max). I didn't play any hand except for JJ-AA, AK and AQ, and every hand I played I pushed all in preflop. Its seemed profitable, not because its sound, but because people call often enough with hands like KT, 55, or A3.
I tried this at 10NL FR with a 2 dollar buy in, but felt I was getting blinded out faster than I was profiting from all ins. I realized this was because the pots I was winning were only half as big in terms of BBs and the blinds I was posting were twice as big. I could try buying in for 4 dollars, but I have a feeling players will be a lot more selective about calling 4 dollar all-ins than 1 dollar all-ins.
Any thoughts/advice? I'd love to hear a better shortstack system, especially one that will work at higher levels. I know Ed Miller describes one in GSOHE, but I have not read this book. This isn't the way I intend to play the game normally, nor do I find it anywhere near as enjoyable as typical play, however there are times when I feel I'd like to just plug away mindlessly for awhile whether its because I'm mentally drained or am in a distracting environment.
I suppose a better alternative might just be to play a few FR tables. I play FR tight anyway and don't need near as much concentration as 6-max..