Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: San Diego in an AC world

The article I linked does a nice job of explaining why these fires are occurring in the first place. It is the governments fault. With private ownership of forests you wouldn't get these tragic fires to begin with. I think San Diegans would be better off had this fire never occurred don't you?

I don't know why you are promoting the government's response to this situation. From what I've read they did an awful job of fighting this fire so far.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The article I linked does a nice job of explaining why these fires are occurring in the first place. It is the governments fault. With private ownership of forests you wouldn't get these tragic fires to begin with. I think San Diegans would be better off had this fire never occurred don't you?

I don't know why you are promoting the government's response to this situation. From what I've read they did an awful job of fighting this fire so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) At least some of the fires appear to have started on private land.

2) Who is "promoting" anything? All I said is that Govt. provided a substantial response.

3) Please explain how in AC land the firefighting would have been better.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) At least some of the fires appear to have started on private land.

2) Who is "promoting" anything? All I said is that Govt. provided a substantial response.

3) Please explain how in AC land the firefighting would have been better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will say this, in AC land no one would have been forced from their home against their will. I know this sounds stupid to you nannies who live and breathe by the principle of forcing citizens to do themselves good, but there are few things done by our government that more blatantly trample your personal liberty and personal responsibility than a forced evacuation.

natedogg
Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 PM

With privately provided fire protection, fire fighters' profits are inversely related to the number and severity of fires. With publicly provided fire protection, fire fighters' profits are positively related to the number and severity of fires. I don't know how they would execute their services but I think private fire fighters would be much more proactive in the prevention department.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 PM

How forceful is the mandatory evacuation anyways? The government issued mandatory evacuation in New Orleans before Katrina, still there were many people who stayed in their homes.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:21 PM

yes, and had the fire fighters spent their time fighting fires rather than forcibly removing people from their property, it is likely this fire would be nowhere near as bad.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 PM

Could this performance be any better? Hard to say....

Because the front page will change, and I don't image capture well, "It's Going to Get Worse" is the headline, subheading of:
"Witch fire update: 145,000 acres,
0% contained
In North County, 600 structures have been destroyed and 300 structures have been damaged."

I shouldn't have even responded, such a debate is ridiculous right now.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 PM

This thread is a perfect example of posters not knowing wtf theyre talking about before they post.

1. firefihters assist but do not force evacuations
2. they have done an outstanding job up and down the coast in saving properties and lives
3. volkins analysis is childish. A private FF business is more profitable when you actually fight fires. If there was minimal risk of fire because of preventitive measures there subscription rates and prices plummet. If profit is the motive prevention efforts are made by companies other than FF companies...and those already exist in the private sector.
4. The governments fault? too ridiculous to comment
Old 10-23-2007, 01:00 AM

1. I've read two different articles that stated the firefighters wasted hours convincing people to evacuate who didn't want to leave their homes rather than fighting fires. The number 1 google search article says exactly this. http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-7016572,00.html

2. read article above

3. People would buy insurance either from an intermediary such as an insurance companies or directly from fire prevention/fighting agencies whereby the company would agree to reimburse the customer for items lost in a fire. Therefore the market would create a greater incentive for fire prevention than currently exists. If fire fighting companies don't prevent fires they either lose their customers or go broke depending on how the market would work. With our current setup if there are more fires, government fire fighting agencies get more funding.
4. The government creates forest fires with it's ridiculous forest management policy of not cleaning out the underbrush which turns national forests into tinder boxes. Private forest owners don't engage in the same practices and don't have the same forest fire problem. I haven't heard anyone dispute this in a long time so your claim that it is ridiculous comes as a bit of a surprise.

Who doesn't know wtf they are talking about?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:04 AM

I find questions like these annoying. Often times they are phrased with a "gotcha" type tone. It would be incredibly difficult to say "How much" any real specific situation would be "better" or "worse" in AC land. Things this specific are just too complicated to predict accurately. It all would depend upon many things including which business models people persued for their "fire protection agencies."

Are you asking for a definitive answer or are you just looking for what people think fire protection *might* be like in AC world? There is no definitive answer. I would guess that there is a good chance that fire protection would look vastly different than how it does in our society.