Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Middle set turns into middle straight

$10-$20

The game has gone from aggressive to passive, which, it often does after nine or ten hours.

I limp UTG with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

checks to me, I bet $100, button calls, everyone else folds.

Button has about $1000 behind at this point, I cover

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet $250, button calls

River J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I hate playing these hands OOP. What do you do here?

I've seen the button make pot sized river raises with a dry ace on a flush board, and he usually plays his big draws very aggressively. I was confused by his call on the flop and then call on the turn. If he had been deep stacked this hand would have been easier to play i think.

I'm thinking checking the turn isn't a bad play here against a lot of his possible holdings, which would help keep the pot smaller.

Anyways, thoughts?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Middle set turns into middle straight

If I were to check the turn, it would only be to check raise and get away from these kinda decisions on the river. River is clearly a check and then...well this is a live poker decision and you have to try and get a read. My instinct, based on your info would be to call. But passing may be equally good. Unfortunately this is a pure poker decision.

gl

dd
Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 PM

Checking the turn is not something I would really consider; it would give him a free card for his OESD or wrap or flush draw. Bet the river (1/2 pot?) and if you're potted I'd probably lay it down as AKJx are not out of the question here. Have to bet though.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:19 PM

Check/call the river
Old 10-16-2006, 06:43 PM

If you bet the river, only the nuts or the same hand will call. Betting is an all downside, no upside bet. And if you just bet the turn, you end up in the same situation Tx did, giving huge implied and bluff odds out of position with what looks like a well defined hand.

gl

dd
Old 10-16-2006, 07:18 PM

c/r turn, c/c river
Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet the river, only the nuts or the same hand will call. Betting is an all downside, no upside bet. And if you just bet the turn, you end up in the same situation Tx did, giving huge implied and bluff odds out of position with what looks like a well defined hand.

gl

dd

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you like the preflop call then?

OP hit one of the best flops he could hope for his set with gutshot and no flushdraw, and yet some are suggesting he not bet the turn and some say fold the river with 2nd nuts. so i can't imagine preflop is good if thats the case.

-g
Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 AM

greg- there was a diamond draw on the flop, and then a club draw on the turn, of which I had neither.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 AM

Gerg,

Preflop made Bluff blanch and Rolf get writing. But live it can be harder to be tight.

gl

dd
Old 10-17-2006, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen the button make pot sized river raises with a dry ace on a flush board, and he usually plays his big draws very aggressively. I was confused by his call on the flop and then call on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does he play non-nut flush draws? Button's passive behavior might indicate was "reverse drawing" to no diamonds. If he plays 2pr w/ gut shot as a big draw, that leaves him with a str8 wrap.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking checking the turn isn't a bad play here against a lot of his possible holdings, which would help keep the pot smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

DD adds:
[ QUOTE ]
If I were to check the turn, it would only be to check raise and get away from these kinda decisions on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's nice is that you can have it both ways: if he checks behind you on 4th street you've kept the pot small, if he bets you can c/r all in.

I'm guessing that if both you and the button have a dime after 10 hrs. of live 10-20 play, you're both stuck. I check/call the river under the theory that button will bet, but not call with, a losing hand.