Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 PM

Default taking my aggression up a notch...

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $15/$30
4 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6SB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4BB, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets...</font>

Historically my default is call down. Villain is a 26/17/2 tag who has been known to do things like c-c, c-r A5 on a 2469 board. I know he's capable of semibluff/pure bluff stuff here, but i'm not sure how he'd play his big hands.

Surf
Old 08-23-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: taking my aggression up a notch...

I dont like it.
It doesn´t really do anything for you that call, call doesn´t against most tags.

You may end up folding incorrectly if he caps 2-pair or valuebetting for him if he doesn´t.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:11 PM

You should go back to calling down. He is the favorite to have the best hand so your reraise is -EV.

But your problems don't stop there. If your 3-bet gets him away from a 2-outer like 66 your "successful" reraise has actually cost you money. You may also lose money against split pair hands like T9 and A7 because he is likely to call your raise and checkfold the river unimproved. He puts in the same amount of money but he does so while he still has outs instead of on the river.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:20 PM

A lot of this depends on your table image.

If you're seen as a LAG, then people will want to stick it to you and they'll start waiting to the turn to check-raise a lot of one pair hands. And then they'll call down with those hands when you 3-bet.

If you're seen as tight, then the range of one pair hands go down, replaced by more bluffs and 2 pair+. And you'll lose some of the weaker hands when you 3-bet.

So if Stellar's telling you that this 3-bet is terrible and I'm telling you that yeah it's okay, we might both be correct, because I play with a different table image than he does.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Historically my default is call down. Villain is a 26/17/2 tag who has been known to do things like c-c, c-r A5 on a 2469 board. I know he's capable of semibluff/pure bluff stuff here, but i'm not sure how he'd play his big hands.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Then call down let him fire that last barrel on the river. If he isnt the type to fire the last barrel then perhaps 3 bet, but you are putting yourself in a position to get outplayed.

Aggression is over rated by 2+2ers
Old 08-23-2006, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're seen as a LAG, then people will want to stick it to you and they'll start waiting to the turn to check-raise a lot of one pair hands. And then they'll call down with those hands when you 3-bet.

If you're seen as tight, then the range of one pair hands go down, replaced by more bluffs and 2 pair+. And you'll lose some of the weaker hands when you 3-bet.

So if Stellar's telling you that this 3-bet is terrible and I'm telling you that yeah it's okay, we might both be correct, because I play with a different table image than he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent point.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aggression is under-rated by 2+2ers

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I like this all that much. With a better kicker, maybe.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:07 PM

you have position, if he is semibluffing then he will bet the river regardless

if he has a weaker made hand he probably isnt calling a river bet
Old 08-24-2006, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Very good post.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should go back to calling down. He is the favorite to have the best hand so your reraise is -EV.

But your problems don't stop there. If your 3-bet gets him away from a 2-outer like 66 your "successful" reraise has actually cost you money. You may also lose money against split pair hands like T9 and A7 because he is likely to call your raise and checkfold the river unimproved. He puts in the same amount of money but he does so while he still has outs instead of on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good analysis and I agree that my reraise, under normal conditions, is -EV compared to calling.

[ QUOTE ]
Nate says:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point too, though I probably cultivate this image less than I think I do, though i've been working on this more and more lately.

Surf