Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 04:09 AM

Default trips in raised pot

i've never played LO8 seriously, only been donking around the $1/$2 tables for a week or so. some 2p2ers may be stalking me because i spew so much [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. anyways, i found this hand interesting and was wondering where i could have played it better.

i followed a donk and am sitting on his left. i have no reads on the two involved other than they play tight PF. i made one bad call PF where i called 2 more from the BB with A34x and c/f the flop, so i probably look like a donk.

PokerStars 3/6 Omaha/8 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (12 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (18 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: 18 BB
Old 01-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: trips in raised pot

Very very strange action on every street. Since UTG raised it's tough to put him on 64xx...he's more likely got AA or A4. BB really looks like 66 until the final action on the turn, where he obv doesn't have it. The only spot I think you can play this differently would be to fold turn, which is a tough thing to do indeed. But your low draw is prob not best, and you might be dead for both ends of the pot in worst case. (Keep in mind at the time you call BB is still strongly representing 66xx.) But it's hard to give opponents that much credit at $1/$2.

Tough hand.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Reraise the turn to find out where you're at. You are still good here a fair amount of the time and you want to get better low draws to fold (that may not be possible at 1/2).
Old 01-19-2007, 03:43 PM

Oh it's 3/6, I just followed a fun guy to play with from 1/2.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Well, I think you've got zero fold equity on the turn at any stakes. UTG has bet every chance he's gotten, and BB capped the flop and led out the turn. I think appropriate turn lines are:
1) bet/call
2) check/call if BB bets (regardless of whether UTG calls or not)
3) check/raise if BB checks and UTG bets (since you almost certainly have outs to part/all of the pot if you're HU)

Given the bet/raise action after your check, I would probably grit my teeth and call, knowing this is a high-variance, low-profit situation.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:03 PM

Yellow Jack -

Pre-flop: I'd make it three bets pre-flop. You might knock out BB, or even someone else holding 23YZ. Also if you flop low trips, they'll need all the protection you can give them. The pre-flop raise starts this protection process. (Note that I don't advocate much pre-flop raising in this game - but with this starting hand, I think a pre-flop raise is generally in order).

Flop: Fine. Your trip fours with an ace kicker is probably the best high hand out there, you might improve to quads or a full house, and you're not out of the picture for low. Possibly someone else has a four or aggression may be coming from low draws. You naturally probably are concerned about the possibility of an opponent having flopped a (1) full house, but while that is possible, it’s not as likely as (2) the case four held by one opponent and a good low draw held by the other, (3) aces being overplayed by one opponent and a good low draw held by the other, or (4) a good low draw held by each opponent. And (5) none of the above is also possible.

So while it’s true that you could be facing a flopped full house, there are a variety of other, more likely, possibilities.

Turn: I'd bet this and seriously consider jamming despite the continuing agression from BB and UTG. UTG’s betting pattern smells like aces and thus I’d tentatively put him on aces, but it’s hard to tell for certain. BB is more of a mystery, but the case four or a good low draw is more likely than a full house.

River: This is not a river card you hoped for. Your first impression must be that the second six on the board is a disaster. Yet if you think about it, neither of these opponents probably has a six.

Even so, it’s tempting to check here. You reason that BB or UTG just might have a six in addition to a missed low draw. If so and you bet, you may get raised. If not and you bet, you may not get paid off. However, if one of these opponents has a four with a worse kicker, the most likely scenario, you probably do get paid off. And if UTG is overplaying aces, you may get paid off too.

At any rate, I think your correct move is to bet the river. (But I’ll agree it’s a tough bet to make).

Buzz
Old 01-20-2007, 12:21 AM

Buzz, you nailed this hand (not to say the other replies weren't very helpful as well). Thanks for the help.

UTG 8h Ah 3c Ad
BB showed Kc Ac 7c 2c

i scooped! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2007, 03:38 AM

Wow....they suck.

nh