Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: This is how you burninate a level:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was on my way to the gym at lunch and i saw an SUV with Hawaiian license plates.

I live in Ottawa, Canada.

I think the bigger question may be, "Why am i paying attention to license plates?"

[/ QUOTE ]

les sénateurs sux

[/ QUOTE ]

sux? I knew the quebecois bastardized the french language, but you guys aren't even trying anymore.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Yeh, they usually won't give out those cars unless they're really stuck and they'll try to give them only for short, local rentals (better to give away half the profit of a 1 day rental than a week long rental). Cars from that far away can stay around for quite a while because it can be a hassle to retrieve them.

We used to get a lot of cars from Toronto and Montreal. We'd get one of those big car transport trailers every couple weeks from Toronto to take all the Toronto cars back. I worked at the airport location and we were the storehouse for all the "foreign" cars for the city.

Montreal was less of a big deal because it's less than 2 hours away and we could usually send them back with people doing one-way rentals. Or they'd just drive over from Montreal with a few jockeys to bring them back.

As far as cars from the US, they could stick around for a while until eventually someone came from down there to pick them up.

If you're ever renting one-way (ie: moving vans) try calling around to the different companies and see if anyone has vehicles that need to go back to your destination, particularly if it's likely a regular route (for west-coast, say moving from LA to SF). You might be able to negotiate a break on the drop-off fee of you can find a vehicle that needs to go back home.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Albert Moulton is the best poster in FR Forum, hands down. He doesn't get enough recognition. It had to be said.

[/ QUOTE ]

in order to properly level you have to post something that there's some chance someone might actually take seriously

[/ QUOTE ]

I commented a long time ago that he was the best gimmick account I have ever seen.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am Finance/Investing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

You should have plenty of opportunities in the suit-and-tie world if you ever choose that route.

Not to mention that the traits that make a good investor/financial adviser are quite similar to those that make a good pokah player.

Of course, college isn't really about all of this anyways, right? Isn't it mostly to drink some beers and hang out with some friends?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a seasoned college vet (junior) my view of college is that it is designed for you to learn a skill set that you can appkly to a future career. College is more than school. You need a balance of work, partying, and being able to live on your own away from home. College is basically a 4 year vacation where your only responsibility is to go to class less than 20 hours a week and read/write papers.

/life philosophy

[/ QUOTE ]

As a much more seasoned former college student:
College is where you prove that you can learn something quickly. Employers then know that they can train you fairly quickly. You may learn a few fundamentals that will help you but mostly it just proves train-ability.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was on my way to the gym at lunch and i saw an SUV with Hawaiian license plates.

I live in Ottawa, Canada.

I think the bigger question may be, "Why am i paying attention to license plates?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a Hawaiian license plate last week in Las Vegas.

I was like "oh hmmmm... the Aloha State..... wait what?"

[/ QUOTE ]

shipped via boat perhaps?

seems pretty impractical, but then again I've never really looked into the costs of moving [censored] from Hawaii to the continent

[/ QUOTE ]

This was what i was thinking too. However, the deal breaker wasn't the fact that it was impractical, it was that i refuse to believe someone would put forth all that effort to move a car from Hawaii and get lazy when it comes to change the plates.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anything tilts me more than being the only one at the table to pay off the donkey in the last 30 minutes, and then watching him spew my chips as fast as he can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its even worse when its live. And he rebuys three times after going through all my chips.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was what i was thinking too. However, the deal breaker wasn't the fact that it was impractical, it was that i refuse to believe someone would put forth all that effort to move a car from Hawaii and get lazy when it comes to change the plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they just moved?

Also, in order to register your car in Ontario it has to pass a safety and and emissions test. They may be waiting for their original registration to expire so as to put off doing that and having to make any repairs.

There's lots of people who move to/from Ottawa to/from Hull and wait as long as possible to change the registration.

They may get way better insurance rates through an American insurance company which will go away as soon as they change the registration.

If they're only in Ottawa for a short term (ie: diplomats) transporting the car may have been paid for by the government and they may not be staying long enough to warrant switching the registration.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM

Good analogy, yes or no?

To be able to produce a consistent return in anything, one must prove that the game is not decided by chance but by skill. In baseball, the Yankees always buy the best players and consistently produce returns, by making the playoffs every year. Although nearly everyone considers baseball to be considered a skill game, there are luck factors in it just like there are luck factors in poker. James McManus, a writer for The New York Times, points out the luck factors in baseball. He talks about how different umpires could call one pitch a strike and one a ball, how the wind can push down a ball that could be a home-run one day and how it could make a ball that wasn’t hit well a home-run the next day (D7). Although luck is a factor in the game, the reason that the Yankees keep winning is that skill is the biggest factor in the long-run. It is easy to illustrate the long-run by showing that the Yankees keep making the playoffs because of a long season where they win consistently. Unfortunately, these same Yankees haven’t won a championship in many years because in each round of the playoffs the teams only play until one team wins three games. Even though the Yankees may be the better team, natural factors and things out of their control have led to their losses in the short-term playoffs recently.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He talks about how different umpires could call one pitch a strike and one a ball, how the wind can push down a ball that could be a home-run one day and how it could make a ball that wasn’t hit well a home-run the next day (D7).

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, this obviously produces enormous statistical deviations
Old 11-08-2007, 05:01 PM

im sorry but its simply naive to underestimate the luck factor in poker
Closed Thread