Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever not reported your online poker winnings on a 1040?
Yes 38 69.09%
No 17 30.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Who is a better hitter? (Poll)

Are you just trying to stir up things because you enjoy it, or are you really this stupid?

Batting Average quite clearly only factors quantity of hits, and has nothing to do with quality of hits.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you just trying to stir up things because you enjoy it, or are you really this stupid?

Batting Average quite clearly only factors quantity of hits , and has nothing to do with quality of hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I stupid??? look what you wrote.

Batting Average quite clearly only factors quantity of hits

Here is some basic math for you.

Player 1 132hits/456AB = .345 Ave
Player 2 44hits/152AB = .345 Ave

You can see that batting average does not factor quantity of hits. It is a factor of hits per AB. There are two variables not only quantity.

I can't believe you said this, and them called someone else stupid.....

Are you throwing me be big, fat slow breaking curves here, or are you do you really not understand how average is a caculated?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:25 PM

You're misreading his statement. In fact, you're not reading past the bolded part of his quote.

Batting average "has nothing to do with quality of hits." This is a true statement. Of Quality and Quantity, it "quite clearly only factors quantity of hits."

Maybe you're the one that should change your name to Strawman.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:42 PM

Motor,
In the 5 tools of baseball the hitting aspects are
Hitting for average
Hitting for power
not
Hitting
Hitting for power.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're misreading his statement. In fact, you're not reading past the bolded part of his quote.

Batting average "has nothing to do with quality of hits." This is a true statement. Of Quality and Quantity, it "quite clearly only factors quantity of hits."

Maybe you're the one that should change your name to Strawman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree batting average has nothing to do with "quality" of hits. I have said it over and over again. I agree, I agree, I agree.

By the way, are you not going to address post #7493334 ? see below. You make an effort to convince me that I don't know what I am talking about, yet you make an strange statement about basestealing and refuse to defend it.

-----------------------------------------
Post #7493334

Jack of Arcades. I have answered your question in good faith. Whether you agree is another point. But now that I have answered your question, please answer mine for all to see.

Your Quote

"I'm factoring in stolen bases. 44/46 on SBs really makes up a lot of ground. Throw in park factors and you've got similar-value hitters.

Please explain how do you factor any discussion of basestealing into the question on "hitting"?

I suppose if I asked you who "runs down" fly balls better, you'd say Vlad over person X, because Vlad has a better throwing arm.!!!!!

How is basestealling relevant to the "better hitter" question?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Motor,
In the 5 tools of baseball the hitting aspects are
Hitting for average
Hitting for power
not
Hitting
Hitting for power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thanks. I should have noted hitting for ave instead of just hitting.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain how do you factor any discussion of basestealing into the question on "hitting"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I define hitting as the entirety of a player's offense. It's surely not that much of a reach considering hitting does not literally mean the skill in hitting the ball, but other things such as walking and getting hit by the pitch.

It also makes more sense to value a hit from Ichiro more since it's more likely that he will advance bases after the hit.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree batting average has nothing to do with "quality" of hits. I have said it over and over again. I agree, I agree, I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you still not have answered the question I asked you originally: why don't you take into account the quality of the hits when determining who's a better hitter?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I define hitting as the entirety of a player's offense. It's surely not that much of a reach considering hitting does not literally mean the skill in hitting the ball, but other things such as walking and getting hit by the pitch.

It also makes more sense to value a hit from Ichiro more since it's more likely that he will advance bases after the hit.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you still not have answered the question I asked you originally: why don't you take into account the quality of the hits when determining who's a better hitter?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can expand the parameters of "better hitting" to include things subsequent to act of hitting, then any further debate is hopeless.

Hitting is hitting.

Oh yeah, I did answer your question of "why" I don't factor in the quality of hits. As I said in my long post on this, I don't care whether you agree, but i did provide my rationale.

I'm convinced that you have no interest in actually having a meanginfull discussion, so I won't be responding to any more of your posts. The basestealling one convinced me that you are not worth debating.

Pudge provides respectful, clear and interesting posts. You are just a nay-saying troll who changes arguments mid-stream to avoid being wrong.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are just a nay-saying troll who changes arguments mid-stream to avoid being wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were the person that changed the debate from "why doesn't quality of the htis matter in determining who's the better hitter?" to "why do you include basestealing in hitting?"

You've repeatedly stated such things like

[ QUOTE ]
you are not worth debating.

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to my ingore list

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you are still responding and I am not ignored.

As for rather base-stealing should be included in hitting, well whatever. I'm not sold on it and it's not going to make a ton of difference either way. Whether or not you include base-stealing, Ichiro and Adam Dunn are fairly similar hitters.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember the 5 tools of baseball. Hitting and hitting for power are 2 different tools, and for good reason. The category of hitting did not capture power (or quality). If it did, there would be no need to distinguish power hitting from hitting. And that's why the OPs question sucked. It was too limiting.

If I conceded all your arguments that "quality" mattered in the "better hitter" agrgument, would you all agree to merge hitting and power hitting and agree that there are now only 4 tools in baseball??

[/ QUOTE ]

This was your argument, and then you admitted that "hitting," and "hitting for average" are two different things. Therefore, you still haven't answered the question. You answered why you don't take into account the quality of the hits when determining who hits for a better average, and that's it. Now answer the question on why quality doesn't matter when you're trying to determine who the better hitter is.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Pudge provides respectful, clear and interesting posts. You are just a nay-saying troll who changes arguments mid-stream to avoid being wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

In terms of baseball knowledge,
Me>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>JoA.